Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort sucking or hungry?

Unhappy Comfort sucking or hungry?

My baby is a week old now and over the last couple days he has wanted to nurse a lot more. However, I've noticed once he is full, he continues to suck which seems like a comfort suck. Shortly after I set him down, he starts to fuss again and doesn't neeessarily want milk but wants to comfort suck. Is this normal? Any suggestions? The baby also seems gassy which I'm not sure matters or not. This is taking a toll on me.

Default Re: Comfort sucking or hungry?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the brand-new baby!

What you are seeing is 100% normal for a newborn. Babies have a strong need to suck and to be held by their moms. It's completely normal for a baby to fuss whenever he is put down, and to need long periods of comfort nursing even after his food needs are met. Everything he is doing is helping him grow, stay warm, feel safe, and regulate his heart rate, breathing, and digestion. The best thing a mom can do is to try to roll with it. Make yourself a "nursing nest" with snacks, water, the remote control, a novel, and some comfortable pillows. Let the housework go to heck. Get takeout. Call in your helpers to bring you meals, do your dishes and laundry, walk your dog, and hold the baby so you can grab a shower.

Gas is also 100% normal for a newborn. It's usually not gas so much as gassy behavior- fussing, squirming, grunting, erratic cries. That is, when people have studied "gassy" babies they have found no evidence of those babies having more gas in their intestines than non-"gassy" babies. Amd interventions that are supposed to fight gas, like gas drops and cutting foods from mom's dietm have not been shown to have measurable positive effects.

I know this is a super-frustrating, draining, exhausting, anxious time in a mom's life, so don't feel bad for feeling like to is taking a toll on you. Of course it is! But you will get through it. Just by making it this far, you have done a wonderful job!

When my baby does that I squeeze my breast so milk comes out so he continues to eat. Eventually he gets full and tired and lets off.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommadaw View Post
    When my baby does that I squeeze my breast so milk comes out so he continues to eat.
    This is a really good suggestion.