Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing in Public Help!

Default Nursing in Public Help!

This is my second EBF baby and you'd think I'd have the hang of nursing in public by now, but unfortunately I don't. With my oldest I always found another room when visiting friends/family or ran out to the car when we were out and about. I wasn't super comfortable whipping out my boob in front of everyone and I never figured out how to wrangle a nursing cover while keeping a baby latched.

This time around I don't have the option of hiding away because I have a 3 year old in tow. There is no way I could drag her out to the car and have her wait patiently while her sister eats. So I'm determined to figure out a better way to nurse in public and I'm looking for tips.

I'd prefer to just cover myself with the blanket I already have packed in our bag rather than buy/pack some special nursing cover. My issue is I feel like I need two hands to hold my baby while she's latching, which means no hands to hold the blanket up. I know I could latch and then cover, but since latching is when I'm most exposed that seems to defeat the whole point of a cover. How do people do this? do you hold the blanket in your teeth while you latch the baby? is there some way to latch one handed? I always feel like my daughter's latch is painfully shallow when I try to do it one-handed... And how do you see what your doing while covering everything in a blanket? Should I be able to latch her blind? I always watch her while rubbing my nipple over her lips until she opens wide enough to put her on. How do I know when she's open wide enough if I can't see her?

What am I missing?

Default Re: Nursing in Public Help!

Hi there, I have a nursing cover that is kind of like a bib, string around the neck attached to a big sheet. You should see these for sale...or easy to make by tying a string to two corners of a blanket!

I used to use a regular blanket and hang it over my shoulder. So if baby is nursing on left, blanket is on my left shoulder and I lean my head in over my right side so I can see to latch. Or if something like a restaurant booth, put blanket over left shoulder/arm, and turn 90 degrees to the right. You have your back on one side, blanket on one side, facing a wall, and booth on the other side. Then you can see to latch. Then adjust the blanket as you turn back to the front. I did the blanket for a while, and then found a cheap nursing cover that had a wire in it to keep the neck open so I could just look down. That was much easier. But honestly after #2 was born, I didn't use a cover much. I found it too much of a hassle while keeping an eye on a toddler. Do you baby wear at all? I have sometimes had success nursing with baby in a carrier. If you can get the hang of it, you can nurse while standing or even walking and it is very discrete. My husband has been out shopping with us and not noticed that I was nursing

a lot of moms find that wearing baby in a sling can help with discrete nursing. Baby is already in the sling and mom is already partly covered by the fabric of the sling. I personally found that mei tai-style carriers were the best for offering ease of positioning and also lots of coverage.

I have a nursing cover like this https://www.moboleez.com but you could probably just use a wide-brimmed baby hat if you don't want to spend the extra money. It's pretty hands-free. and you can flip the brim back a bit to see while baby latches on.

That is a very cute hat!