Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis question - please help!

Default Mastitis question - please help!

Hi all,

I have a 7 week old who was born a preemie. I got a bad case of mastitis two days ago. I'm on antibiotics and have been using warm showers before nursing/pumping and ice after. I resolved all of the lumps yesterday but there is still a hard lump at the centre of my breast that just won't go away despite how hard I try. Tonight I pumped and pumped and pumped until all that came out were slow slow droplets and my nipple got very sore. I have two questions:

1) Is there any milk in the lump or is that all inflammation and swelling and I'm wasting my time with the over pumping? Will the lump resolve itself if I nurse but don't pump? Should I just leave it alone? Please help. I don't want this mastitis to come back but I also don't want to make it worst by excessive pumping.

2) When should I expect the redness go away? Half of my breast is very red and angry looking and warm to the touch (not just where the remaining lump is).

Thanks,
    MariDaisy

Default Re: Mastitis question - please help!

1) Is there any milk in the lump or is that all inflammation and swelling and I'm wasting my time with the over pumping? Will the lump resolve itself if I nurse but don't pump? Should I just leave it alone? Please help. I don't want this mastitis to come back but I also don't want to make it worst by excessive pumping.
    Impossible to say with certainty what is inside the lump. It could be residual swelling, or it could be milk and infected tissue. But when you have mastitis, you are not wasting time when you pump. The goal is to clear out the infection first, then worry about dealing with oversupply. Mastitis is the urgent problem, oversupply is something you can take your time with.

2) When should I expect the redness go away? Half of my breast is very red and angry looking and warm to the touch (not just where the remaining lump is).
    You should expect the redness to go away when the mastitis does. What you describe sounds like it is still a pretty hot infection. I know this post is a few days old- sorry!- but if you haven't seen big changes in the last few days I would go back to the docs and discuss whether or not a course of a different or stronger antibiotic is warranted.