Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorged in two hours all of the sudden

Default Engorged in two hours all of the sudden

Im a first time mom, my baby is almost 2 weeks old. My engorgement was doing great. Until I continued to have terrible nipple pain on the left side. My midwife told me to keep it empty in case it was yeast. I see them on Tuesday so she'll check then. Now that I've kept it empty for a couple days, BOTH boobs are engorged in two hours. I had been pumping about every six hours and that was working, I wouldn't get full until about 6 hours later. Then I'd pump and feel better.. Now I pump and I'm full in two hoursm. I know if I start pumping every two when they're full it's not gonna fix anything cause ill keep making milk but they're seriously so tight I feel like they're gonna pop. I want to pump some so I have a stash, but I don't want to pump all the time and be engorged so soon.

Default Re: Engorged in two hours all of the sudden

Hi, so it sounds like you are making more milk than baby needs and that is leading to getting engorged? I am a little confused if baby is nursing or you are only pumping?

You are pumping every 6 hours. How much do you get when you pump about?

How often is baby nursing? Is baby getting any supplements, etc, of the milk you are expressing? Or is baby gaining normally only nursing?

Anyway, it would help to know more about that but here is some general suggestions.

Engorgement is typical at this age because this is when milk production starts to peak in some moms. The breast feeling full actually tells the body to make less milk, and emptying the breast tells the body to make MORE milk. So, if you are making more milk than baby needs, what you want to try to do is reduce pumping (either reduce how long you pump or how often, or both.) Increasing pumping will only tell the body to make even more milk making you more engorged. Please note, you do not want to decrease nursing frequency or limit time at the breast by baby. Just decrease the extra milk removal of pumping.

But you probably want to decrease pumping gradually. Because while engorgement is typical, it is not really normal in the sense it can cause some serious breastfeeding issues. An engorged breast is harder for baby to get a good latch on, for one thing. Being engorged leads to plugs and mastitis. So, you want to avoid that as much as possible.

Engorgement is usually helped most by encouraging baby to nurse frequently. If you are still getting engorged even with baby nursing frequently, then pumping just enough to feel not full as needed may help you transition to the point you can stop pumping. You could also try hand expression instead of pumping, again, just enough to feel comfortable and avoid getting truly engorged.

If you have severe overproduction more invasive steps may be needed, but it is very premature to assume you have that.

Why do you need a milk stash and when do you need it by? Many moms overestimate how much expressed milk they need. Again, at this early point, it would probably be best to work on getting to no pumping at all at least temporarily assuming your baby is gaining normally from just nursing.

I would also suggest if you continue to have nipple pain, see your midwife again or see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC.) If I understand your post, your midwife gave you an instruction that any person who understands breastfeeding would know would quite possibly lead to overproduction and engorgement and that led to you getting into this spot and I have no idea why she told you to pump based on what you have written. Thrush is not related to how much milk a mother makes nor how full the breast is. It is an overgrowth of yeast and would typically be present in both breasts. I also do not understand why she told you to pump to empty due to thrush. I think something must have not been understood there. NIpple pain this early and on one side would most likely be due to a poor latch. A poor latch will also tend to lead to or exacerbate engorgement if baby is not able to transfer milk well.

100% with the previous post!

Baby is nursing. I started pumping to relieve engorgement. Which was going really well. I'd nurse baby whenever he wanted and generally every 6-8 hours I'd start getting engorged so I'd pump to relieve pressure. I also found it beneficial to have a small stash for date nights, etc. It wasn't until a few days ago I started becoming engorged in 2 hours max. It's out of control for sure.

Baby nurses during the day about every 2-3 hours, and at night every 1-3 hours. He still has trouble latching. I don't know if he is overly excited, or too tired, but he won't latch right away. He sucks a small amount, then pulled his head back. Sucks a small amount and pulls back. Or pushes with his hands. Eventually after 10 minutes or so of this a light switch will click and he'll latch and not let go. It's during this time that the pain makes me cringe. Sometimes the pain lasts throughout nursing, sometimes it gets better. (It used to always last throughout). Even with all this though, it appears baby is gaining weight fine. We haven't had our 2 week check up and officially weighed him but I held him on the scale and then just me on the scale and did the math and he was up from birth weight. He hasn't had an expressed milk yet- I'm too concerned of nipple confusion with a bottle and he's not getting any other supplement.

When I was pumping every 6 hours I was getting 3-4 oz on the good size and 1-2 oz on the more sore side.

I've gone the whole day engorged today (it's been painful) I've only pumped once for a short time to relieve pressure and ive manually expressed just a little.

Besides being hard and tender, is it normal to feel like stingy sensations when engorged? And feel like bruised to the touch?

Maybe I misunderstood my midwife. But I feel like I remember her saying if I had a yeast infection in the breast to keep the milk moving or something. She wasn't sure it was that per our phone conversation, she also thought I might just be experiencing engorgement issues.

So I just need to decrease pumping? It's okay to.be engorged during this process? My breast have just never felt like this and I don't know if what I'm feeling is normal or not.

Hi mommadew. I think your best bet is to see someone IN PERSON who is experienced in helping moms with latch issues for help asap. Nursing/latch should not hurt, that pain is telling you something is wrong. Also it sounds like you have pretty serious engorgement going on. Even if baby is getting plenty of milk, which is entirely possible even with a shallow latch, what you are describing is potentially very serious for your immediate health and for breastfeeding continuing long term.

Besides being hard and tender, is it normal to feel like stingy sensations when engorged? And feel like bruised to the touch?
    Yes these sensations could be caused by engorgement. But again, pain is a warning that something needs to be fixed. Engorgement, while common, is in fact not normal and also a sign something is wrong.

Maybe I misunderstood my midwife. But I feel like I remember her saying if I had a yeast infection in the breast to keep the milk moving or something.
    Ok, this is certainly advice appropriate for a bacterial infection- mastitis. And it is possible your midwife was concerned you are headed for mastitis (More info- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf) Mastitis is Not the same as yeast aka thrush, which is often incorrectly identified as an "infection." They are two different things.

But it is true that expressing enough to avoid true engorgement is almost always a good idea. It is just best if that can be done by nursing very frequently rather than pumping, as pumping "extra" tells the body to make more milk. Of course, if you are getting engorged despite baby nursing frequently, pumping or hand expression may be needed. In fact you may need to pump more often. It may help to think of this as a kind of a triage situation. First you need to avoid the immediate dangers of rock hard, painful engorgement by expressing milk as often as needed. (But not emptying the breasts- just get them softer and more comfortable.) Once the rock hard engorgement is more under control you can try working on gradually reducing pumping in order to reduce your milk production. Does that make sense?

I would also suggest, perhaps your baby could nurse more often. Many babies nurse much more often than every 2-3 hours, and it may help to nurse more often even if it means waking baby to do so. Your baby's behavior at the breast as you describe could be due to a fast letdown which often comes along with making too much milk. Frequent nursing helps with this also, plus there are positioning things you can do to help baby handle the flow better. I will attach some articles.

But again I strongly suggest in person help.

positioning to help with flow: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/artic...Fast+Milk+Flow

More positioning and latch ideas: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/artic...+Breastfeeding
    and http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; October 8th, 2016 at 08:46 PM.

I will make an appt with a lactation consultant tomorrow morning first thing.

It is such a relief to hear you say relieve the pressure. I've been doing that today and it's been much more comfortable. Twice ive gotten really rock hard, and pumped for just 10 minutes and it helped tremendously. I got a ounce on the sore nipple side and 2 oz on the side that doesn't hurt. They're still hard after the 10 mins but nothing like they were before.

I think I forgot to mention that baby was 2.5 weeks early. And only 5lbs 11oz, and I've wondered if his size has contributed to our difficulties latching.

Thank you SO much for your abundance of information. I really appreciate it. I hope the LC can get me in tomorrow to help with latching. I would be devastated if I ended up getting mastitis and couldn't BF or something.

Thanks again!!

Even if you did get mastitis, you can continue to breastfeed. Most cases of mastitis can be treated with antibiotics which are not harmful to the baby, so a mom can continue to nurse while she is taking them. And many cases of mastitis resolve without mom needing to use antibiotics at all. Frequent milk removal, staying hydrated, getting rest- that's often all that is required.