Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast for all occasions?

Default Breast for all occasions?

Hello ladies. I am again dealing with an issue that I don't know how to resolve. My little guy will be 6 weeks on friday. Gained nice and is about 11lb13oz (weighed today). I wrote here before because I always think I don't have enough supply but it becomes evident that it is because bebe is on the boob constantly. He obviously takes it for feeding, for comfort, going to sleep. It is all good but that creates a vicious cycle. He will feed then 1/2 hr later he wants to put himself to sleep so boob he gets and it does trickle down his throat and he won't let go of the nipple either. then 1/2 later he wakes up, burps all uncomfortable, may even spit semi digested milk and of course wants a boob again. Then he expects a full meal but how can I produce 3 oz or so when he just sat on it for 30 minutes suckling (and drinking because I definitely feel let down and him swallowing). At this point LC recommended we extend feedings every 2 hrs and I offer him paci and have him fuss. Pediatrician thinks he is crying because he is hungry because I cannot ever provide "full meal" since he is at the breast constantly. LC said he will become gassy and uncomfortable since he doesn't fully digest food before new food is introduced. The thing is he won't take any pacifier!!! I even tried a bottle with like an ounce of my milk between the feedings so that he can fall asleep and I can have around 2 hr break to "collect" more of a fuller meal for him and sure he'll take a bottle with liquid as long as it flows. But then again he'll call for the boob again so not really a solution. That is sadly the only way he'll nap. He won't even nap in the car. I would not mind it all if not for the fact that he gets so uncomfortable and in my eyes never has a full meal.. Today he ate, then 30 min later he nursed to sleep- we slept like that for about 30 mins, he woke up cried for a boob again, spat, burped and cried to be nursed again. finally he suck on my finger (which is gross and also logistically impossible) and fell asleep to the sound of my husband vaccuming (maybe we are onto something?). Any suggestion would be great as to pacifiers, extending time between feeds, etc? TIA

Default Re: Breast for all occasions?

Wow, in your shoes I would be looking for a new pediatrician and a new LC! I can't believe the bad information they fed you.

First, extending the time between feedings by allowing a baby to fuss or substituting a pacifier for the breast is not a good idea. Milk supply is created and maintained by demand. When you stretch the time between feedings, you cut down on demand and that can cause supply to tank. While it seems to make intuitive sense that allowing the milk to "collect" in the breast will result in baby getting a larger and therefore more "satisfying" meal when nurses, allowing the breast to fill up is actually a ticket to lower supply.

Second, babies don't require "full meals". With a breastfed baby, there's really no such thing because the size of the average meal will vary greatly. A baby who is hungry and feeding eagerly from a full breast might take 3-4 oz, or even more. A baby who is feeding slowly and primarily for comfort might take in 1 oz or less. But it doesn't matter. That mix of big "meals" and little "snacks" all adds up to the baby getting the right number of calories for the day. On average babies require around 20-30 oz of milk per day, and they usually acquire this milk with some big feedings and lots of little ones.

Third, babies don't get "gassy and uncomfortable" from not digesting "old food" before "new food" is introduced. That is literally one of the most ridiculous breastfeeding myths I have ever heard. Any adult knows that you can have dinner and then have a cookie half an hour later without upsetting your stomach or giving yourself gas. Babies are the same in that respect, though their baseline is to act more gassy and fussy than adults because they are babies and have baby digestive systems.

The way to make breastfeeding work is to breastfeed. If the baby asks to nurse, nurse him. He knows what he needs! But also be aware that 6 weeks is a super-fussy time for many babies. Things like white noise (vacuum cleaner!) and lots of cuddling and nursing are the way through.

Don't doubt yourself! You are doing a great job!!!

thank you. even if I wanted to pacify him there is no way or extend him l, he just doesn't allow that so I still nurse whenever he feels like it. Yeah I think he is having a growth spurt on top of things. The LC said to extend and NOT to supplement and pedi said to extend and supplement bc I am letting him go hungry but I have not done either, meaning I just let him nurse whenever he wants. Thanks, sometimes I just need reassurance. And I do not recall being engorged ever as he never lets me

I only feel semi full when he occasionally has a longer stretch of sleep at first at night (first 3 hrs) otherwise I feel "deflated" which doesn't help my confidence but I guess actually that is better than going engorged
    Last edited by @llli*maggiechicago; September 28th, 2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: edit

Feeling deflated is completely normal after you have been nursing for a while. When you feel full or engorged, it means you are making more milk than the baby needs. After a while, your body "reads" the difference between the amount you make and the amount the baby takes, and adjusts supply so that you make just enough to fulfill the baby's needs. If the baby needs more, he will nurse more and boost supply. But once you have passed that initial stage of fullness and engorgement, it's unlikely that you will feel full except in unusual circumstances, like when the baby suddenly misses a bunch of feedings because he is sleeping through the night.

Pediatrician thinks he is crying because he is hungry because I cannot ever provide "full meal" since he is at the breast constantly

LC said he will become gassy and uncomfortable since he doesn't fully digest food before new food is introduced

Today he ate, then 30 min later he nursed to sleep- we slept like that for about 30 mins, he woke up cried for a boob again, spat, burped and cried to be nursed again. and fell asleep to the sound of my husband vaccuming (maybe we are onto something?).

Of the three- pediatrician, LC, and the vacuum, only the vacuum helped! Changing input (changing the sounds, lighting, movement, location etc) are all excellent ways to comfort a fussy baby, and nursing baby is also a great- usually the best, comforting tool. Your baby is a baby and this is how babies this age behave. Also, I am afraid your vacuum is possibly better informed than pediatrician or LC.

Unless I am not understanding something, baby is behaving normally and gaining well. These behaviors you are describing is just how newborns are! Unless nursing hurts or something, there is no problem, and consequently, no interventions are needed. At all. No pacifier, no lengthening time between nursing sessions, and certainly not bottles. The paci and bottle might be nice for your convenience (although finger works just as well, really...as long as the finger is clean, fingers and knuckles are great temporary pacifiers when you cannot nurse- like when in the car for example.) But these are not in any sense medically necessary interventions. Pacifiers and bottles are pretty recent inventions, humanity survived and thrived for millennia without them, and both are only breast substitutes and nothing more. Your breasts appear to be doing the job so no substitutes required.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 29th, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

lol !!! i know vacuum and sometimes even hair dryer work too which is great so I can do my hair once in a blue moon he is higher maintenance compared to my other two but he is my last and i still feel bad he missed out on early snuggles due to billi lights. yeah the feeling of being deflated is a confidence bust but i know the emptier the breast the more milk production
    Last edited by @llli*maggiechicago; September 29th, 2016 at 04:12 AM. Reason: edit

He sounds like my 5 week old. She likes to nurse. I'm not worried about frequent nursing or wanting to sleep latched on.