Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my baby never seems satisfied with my breast

Default Re: my baby never seems satisfied with my breast

I would assume she was satisfied if she was not crying after the breast and rooting and putting hands in mouth, etc. All of these things are indicating to me that she is still hungry. She does not typically behave this way after a couple ounces in the bottle. I

I have been trying everything today, first I tried to feed when I knew she was not very hungry and she didn't have much interest in it. Then I tried waiting until she was very hungry but she just got frustrated at that point.

Then she started latching and unlatching repeatedly and flailing her arms after I tried to put her back to the breast after the bottle. Nothing has seemed to work. We both end up crying at the end of every attempt.
    I am not saying there is not a problem. Since you have latch pain, that indicates there IS a problem. But the fact remains babies only need supplements if they cannot gain normally nursing a normal amount of times. The behavior you describe could mean many things.

Again I suggest seeing an IBCLC and working on latch. Nursing should not hurt and latch pain may indeed indicate baby is having difficulty transferring enough milk. They can also do a before and after nursing weight check to see if baby is actually unable to transfer milk normally. These tests are hard to do and are not conclusive and it is best if more than one can be done over a few visits, however, if baby is able to transfer 2 ounces in a "normal" nursing session (both sides, baby nursing 20-30 minutes total) then that would be a good indicator baby is capable of transferring milk normally.

Meanwhile, I suggest keep offering, do not wait until baby is hungry to encourage baby to nurse. A calm baby almost always nurses better than one who is frantic. If some nursing sessions are not all that productive that is ok, that is entirely normal. Sometimes babies get very little and other times they get more. But at this age, a baby has no ability to wait, they get upset very shortly after they first cue and when they are upset they are less organized and latch poorly. Also baby will often have a little more patience to work on different latch techniques if not too hungry. If baby has become frantic, I suggest give baby a little supplement and then nurse.

I have been there, at this point with my oldest I was sobbing every nursing session it hurt so much and was so frustrating because it took him an hour just to get a latch, I was pumping after every nursing session and falling asleep over the pump and dropping and spilling the collection bottle... it was crazy. The one thing we did not have to do was supplement as baby was gaining normally. We went on to have a long and happy nursing relationship. Getting the right local help was very important. Is that possible for you?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 28th, 2016 at 09:11 AM.

Yes, I have an appointment on Friday with the LC. We just had our first successful breastfeeding session, I think. She finally seemed content after, so I am hopeful! One breast produces MUCH more milk than the other, and she is much more interested in nursing on that side only. What do I do about this? She seems to get frustrated when I put her to the other side, can I just nurse from one side?
    Thank you so much for all your help!

You can just nurse on one side, but it's usually better to keep both sides in use. It prevents you from becoming visibly lopsided due to lopsided production and in an emergency, you have a backup breast.

Keep offering the slower-flowing breast. Try diffent positions, try offering it first, try offering it first and last... Eventually your baby should figure out how to make it flow like the one she currently prefers.

I agree with mommal. My oldest refused one side for a while and even after we fixed that he still preferred the other, but for many reasons it makes sense to keep baby nursing both sides as much as possible. Oddly my second child had the opposite preference and third no discernable preference.

Glad you can see an LC. Hang in there, is does get better.