Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my baby never seems satisfied with my breast

Default my baby never seems satisfied with my breast

My daughter is 9 days old. She was born 7lb 4oz, and was down to 6lb 10oz 4 days later when we left the hospital. The lactation consultant had advised me to breastfeed and then pump and give her that, and if needed to supplement with formula. I also went thursday to another lactation consultant, and she said my milk production looked good, as did her latch and it looked like she was getting a lot from my breast, but when she was weighed, she really was only getting a couple grams. I've continued with the breastfeeding and pumping every 2-3 hours, as well as doing everything I can to increase my supply. Even after breastfeeding, I usually pump 1-2 oz more of milk, but the past 3 days she has not seemed satisfied. I have had to give her formula in addition a couple times a day and she will easily take 2 oz after the breast and pumped milk. I hate giving her formula, but don't know what else to do. Also, why is she not getting enough from my breast? I try to go back and forth between breasts and try to do at least a total of 30 minutes, but it's never enough to even close to satisfy her. It makes me feel like such a waste of all the time she is breastfeeding because I always have to pump after and now it's getting to the point where I often have to give her formula after that. Any help would be so much appreciated.

Default Re: my baby never seems satisfied with my breast

Welcome to the forum!

So if I did my math right, by day 4 your baby lost not quite 10% of birthweight, which is within the normal range.

Some questions for you:
    - How does nursing feel?
    - How many times in a 24 hour period does the baby nurse?
    - Have you done any weighed feeds aside from the one at the LC's office?
    - How much supplement are you giving per feeding, and what is the total amount are you giving in a 24 hour period?
    - After giving the bottle, do you ever put the baby back to the breast? (Concluding all feedings at the breast is a great way to deal with baby acting "unsatisfied" after adequate feedings, because it trains the baby to associate the feelings of satiation and relaxation with being at the breast, rather than associating those feelings from the bottle.)

Please don't lose hope! 9 days is still early, early days.

I agree with mommal. We need more information, because from what I can tell so far person you saw in the hospital made you feel like there was a problem when there possibly was none, and instructed you to do interventions that may have been unneeded, needlessly exhausting and frustrating you.

It would also help to know if more weight checks have been done (how much has baby gained since lowest known weight in what time frame) and
    How poop output is looking (how many per day, look, size)

Newborns nurse a lot and they prefer to be held the vast majority of the time. It is also normal (and healthy) for a baby to kind of "wake up" after a week or so and want to nurse even more than before! They often do not seem 'satisfied' because it is normal for them to want to nurse lots and never be put down. Also, it pretty much means nothing that baby will take more in a bottle, because the newborn infant is internally programmed to suck when something to suck on is offered to them. Breastfed babies require supplements if they are not gaining weight appropriately despite nursing 10-12 times in 24 hours, and not for any other reason.

Nursing is uncomfortable. It was painful due to very sore nipples, but has gotten better. On one side it feels alright, but the other is often painful. Even when the lactation consultants say everything is correct with her latch, it has never been comfortable on that side.

She will nurse about 8 times in a 24 hour period.

That was the only weighed feed we did, my next appointment is Friday.

I give her, on average, 1.5 oz pumped milk per feeding, and often times she is still hungry (looking for breast, hands in mouth, screaming/crying, sucking very hard on my finger and seeming to be frustrated she is not getting any milk) so I give her about 1 oz of formula after that about 3-4 times a day.

I have not tried putting her back to the breast after the bottle, but will!

Thanks for your help!

Exhausted and frustrated is definitely what I am feeling. Although she always has a mouthful of milk when she comes off the breast, she has never seemed to have gotten satisfied from just breastfeeding, and she seems to get just as frustrated as I do with it. It feels like such a waste of time as I still have to pump afterward, and sometimes give the bottle as well. We left the hospital on Tuesday, she weighed 6 lb 10 oz. Thursday was her next doctor’s appt where she weighed 6 lb 13 oz. At that time, she was content with just the breast and pumped milk, but since Saturday she seems insatiable, and that’s when we started adding in formula as well.

Poopy diapers are about 2-3 a day and probably about 8+ wet. She is definitely eating plenty with the pumping and formula.

I’m never offering her the bottle until after she is showing many hunger signs and is crying/screaming, and she always does this even after 30-45 minutes at the breast. She falls asleep at the breast, and I continually wake her up, switch sides, etc. and after she falls asleep and it seems I can’t wake her back up and I finally take her off, within 5 minutes she starts opening her mouth, sticking hands in mouth, going back to my breast, etc, along with crying.

Like I said, exhausted and frustrated are definitely how I’m feeling. My husband suggests I just go to strictly pumping because it’s taking such a toll on me, but i really want to be able to breastfeed her. I’m just at a loss.

Ok, nursing pain is a real problem. It is also a very common and usually solvable problem. That is something that your best bet is to see an IBCLC who is able to take the time to work on latch and positioning with you. They can also possibly examine baby to see if there is some physical barrier to a comfortable latch. I will link some good articles below, but latch issues are basically why the profession of the IBCLC was invented in the first place. A LLL Leader is a volunteer who also may help a great deal with latch and positioning. Just having someone experienced to eyeball the issue usually leads to a solution.

It is way premature to suggest exclusive pumping, which in the longer run is far harder and also you lose many of the benefits of nursing baby at the breast. I am sure DH is trying to be supportive. I suggest, ask him to take over taking care of you and the house, washing bottle and pump parts, holding baby skin to skin when you need a break, etc. so you can concentrate on figuring out latch and learning your baby's rhythms.

Skin to skin contact can be very helpful at this stage because it is calming to baby and increases gain simply because it reduces stress on baby. And this can be done by mom or dad or grandma etc. Basically all it means is snuggling baby on the adults bare chest with baby in a diaper only. If this is not comfortable, just holding baby this way while clothed is also helpful.

Newborn babies need to nurse a minimum of 8 times in 24 hours. Most nurse at least 10-12 times and many nurse more than that. If a baby is nursing only 8 times and not gaining normally at the breast, then the easiest fix is to nurse baby more often. However, this is difficult if mom is pumping, and baby is being supplemented, because it then becomes a time management issue. I would suggest as a first step to getting baby off the supplements, consider increasing the frequency baby nurses, but not the frequency with which you pump or supplement. As baby nurses more, you can start reducing supplements and then reducing pumping. The closer you get to exclusively nursing the easier it will get a promise.

Make sure pumping is comfortable and not causing more issues.
    I’m never offering her the bottle until after she is showing many hunger signs and is crying/screaming, and she always does this even after 30-45 minutes at the breast. She falls asleep at the breast, and I continually wake her up, switch sides, etc. and after she falls asleep and it seems I can’t wake her back up and I finally take her off, within 5 minutes she starts opening her mouth, sticking hands in mouth, going back to my breast, etc, along with crying.
    Maybe you could explain what you mean by satisfied. What behavior would indicate to you that your baby was satisfied? Or what behavior is indicating baby is not satisfied? Because honestly most of the above is entirely normal behavior. Also on the one hand you are saying baby nurses for 45 minutes without being satisfied, but on the other hand, you are saying baby falls asleep so rapidly at the breast that you have to keep waking baby. Is it possible that in your understandable concern that baby is not getting enough, you are not letting baby follow a normal cluster nursing pattern? (Which typically goes something like this- Nurse a bit, sleep a bit, nurse a bit more, sleep a bit longer, nurse again, over and over again.) Many moms are told that babies nurse every 2-3 hours and are worried if their baby nurses differently. But in reality almost no infant nurses in an every such and such hour pattern or anything like it.

Latch and positioning: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/ and http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/artic...ding+Positions

What to expect at apt with IBCLC: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 27th, 2016 at 09:52 AM.

I wonder the same with ,y four week old. I have another post asking for advice on triple feeding, as I am in that hell right now, and am afraid I've pumped myself into oversupply, as with pumping seven times a day after feeds only for 15 min, I am pumping 30-35 oz a day on top of nursing exclusively and topping off baby with six oz extra expressed BM. I started this regimen after her weight remained steady at seven lbs for seven days, no gain, she started gaining appropriately on eight oz additional, so we have cut down to only six extra. She does the same though at times, will nurse, fall asleep after only a few minutes, then as soon as she wakes again, she's rooting like she's starving? Rooting, fussing, eating her hands. I nurse again, same thing over and over. She always sucks down the supplemental bottle readily. I have noticed her seeming to actively nurse better as she has gotten a little older (she was also a 37 weeker). Today is actually the first day she nursed well this morning, and had a significant (45 m or so) awake time withOUT rooting and fussing!! So that behavior is what I am considering to mean "satisfied," the constant rooting and eating hands is what I also consider or fear to be hunger, hunger that isn't being satisfied at the Breast. We have a weigh in Thursday and I fully plan on decreasing my pumping regimen at that time if her weight is going good. I cannot maintain this pumping schedule, it's killing me.

Newborn babies spend their days either nursing or sleeping. There is no evidence that babies should have some length of awake time when they are not nursing. Some babies have this, some do not, and most come to something like that some of the time when they are 1-2 months old but not before.

If a baby is nursing 10-12 times or more per 24 hours and not gaining normally, it is possible there is some issue with baby not being able to get enough at the breast. It is all about weight gain! Because behavior is rarely a good indication of whether a baby is getting enough, partly because there are many different variations of normal infant behavior, and mostly because our expectations of how a newborn "should" behave are based on decades of babies being grossly overfed with large scheduled bottles rather than based on the biologically normal behavior of baby nursing and getting a very high frequency of very small meals.

I would assume she was satisfied if she was not crying after the breast and rooting and putting hands in mouth, etc. All of these things are indicating to me that she is still hungry. She does not typically behave this way after a couple ounces in the bottle. I

I have been trying everything today, first I tried to feed when I knew she was not very hungry and she didn't have much interest in it. Then I tried waiting until she was very hungry but she just got frustrated at that point.

Then she started latching and unlatching repeatedly and flailing her arms after I tried to put her back to the breast after the bottle. Nothing has seemed to work. We both end up crying at the end of every attempt.

aww mama hugs! ladies here are wonderful and hopefully your issues will soon resolve. Now I wil tell you my son does a lot of what you say. That is why I "always" feel he is hungry. That paired with one slacker boob and me not being able to pump anything after the feeding always makes me nervous. He DOES gain very well though so objectively I know he is fed well and ladies here have been so reassuring. He has gone from 7lb14oz lowest weight to 11lb12oz at 5weeks3days. Everone who is smart (I asked here, my local LLL leaders, Dr.Jack newman, Cheryl Taylor from Dr Jay Gordon's office- my lll leaders sent me an article re growth and she is their lactation consultant) tells me not to supplement (except my pedi who somehow thinks his length has to match his weight). But he does a lot of fussying and "seems" hungry after he is done. i do pump my milk at night once when he skips feeding and give it to him in those situations. Sometimes he settles and sometimes he doesn't. My local LLL leader asked if I had fast let down (I do) and if I pace feed because he may be one of these kids who finishes meal fast and doesn't register in his brain he is full yet (I started doing pace feedings when I do give him my milk and he is much better). Also I know when the flow is slower he gets fussy but now I don't make it so easy for him with the bottle and he has to work at the bottle same way he has to at the breast. He likes it fast... You seem to have milk even after feeding her so I am certain your supply is not an issue. Perhaps when the flow is slower she doesn't want to work at it? Because she knows she will get a bottle with a fast flow? Hope your LC can figure it out for you as you do seem to have good supply, etc