Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BFing 11 (almost 12)-month old, bottle feeding, amounts

Default Re: BFing 11 (almost 12)-month old, bottle feeding, amounts

If a baby is getting a significant amount of nutrition from solids, the formula would no longer apply. As I posted above, that formula (which is actually 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour) is based on the idea that an exclusively breastfed baby needs about 25-35 ounces of breastmilk per 24 hours. We know that this is the average intake for an exclusively nursing baby who gains normally.

If a baby is old enough and is getting enough ounces of solids, then they would not need as much breastmilk. This is never a problem when a baby is nursed, because it is not as if more milk at the breast than baby strictly needs is in any way a problem. It isn't. But when a baby is partly bottle fed, there are many reasons to avoid overfeeding with bottles.

Also what caloric intake is actually required for a one year old is unclear, and of course will also vary child to child. But it is certainly not more than a younger baby because a one year old is not gaining nearly as quickly.

So then is a good estimate of milk to set out for him the amount I seem to be (on average) pumping at each session I'm away from him? Or if I can sit down and pump 7oz in 30min, roughly around the time he would be nursing, is this 7oz only because of oversupply and not truly the amount my body is calibrated to his eating at that time?

THanks!

I really cannot tell you more about what your baby might need other than I have already said- I cannot find reliable information on this.

However I can tell you that what a mom can pump at a pumping session never has anything to do with what baby might take in while nursing at a similarly timed nursing session. Baby controls the amount baby gets when baby nurses, and, assuming normal response to an effective pump and good milk production, mom controls what comes out when she pumps (by how long she pumps.)

See Kellymom.com, but yes, it is the suggested range until 1 year old. Until 1, babies need 19-30 oz of BM a day, the average being 24/25 oz per day. Kellymom has an expressed BM calculator so you can figure out the *approximate* number of oz per bottle based on the oz per day and the number of nursing sessions. I still rely on those numbers and my babe eats increasingly more solids, also mostly BLW style. If your babe eats solids pretty well, milk intake is probably at the lower end of the range.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...lkcalc/#solids

It is for any BFing baby, whether EBF or EBF plus solids. My understanding is that amounts don't go below 1 oz per hour until after one year.

So what happens if I am leaving more stored milk for baby than I can pump during the day that day? For example, I've been leaving 12oz on days when I nurse him at wake-up, when I come home (~4pm), and bedtime. So he is getting bottle-fed at 9am, before nap (1pm), and after nap if there is any milk left (sometimes there is, sometimes not). But I may only pump 9oz. Is that bad, if the amount I'm producing by pump doesn't equal the amount he is getting fed by bottle?

The only reason it's bad is that it cuts into your stash of stored milk. If you always leave 12 oz and come home with 9, in fairly short order you'll be looking at an empty freezer. Which may not be a problem, with an older baby. After 12 months, you can always leave him cow's milk to drink, if you want him to have it, or feed him cheese and yogurt or carefully selected non-dairy solids.

@llli*mommal, thanks. Is there any way to know if the 12oz is technically overfeeding him? I guess I'm wondering because since my body is so tuned in to him at this point, I'm wondering if the reason I "only" pump 9 is because that's what he typically takes, and therefore that's what I should leave for him. Thoughts?

No, 12 oz is not overfeeding him. Until a year, breastmilk should be the baby's majority source of nutrition, and after 12 months you still want it to make up a lot of his nutrition. Healthiest thing he can ever eat, right?

I think leaving 12 oz when you only pump 9 makes perfect sense when you consider that the pump typically does not empty the feast as well as the baby does. That is, baby may take 12 oz when he nurses but pumoing instead of nursing might yield a lesser amount.