Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Higher supply on one side

Default Higher supply on one side

I am EBF but have been pumping once in the morning for back to work storage or a bottle for my husband if he's home with her while I'm out. My right side always produces more than the left. I'm pumping about 2.5-3oz total. Usually if I do 3 I get about 1 from the left and the rest I'll get from the right.
    How can I increase the left supply? Or is that just how it is sometimes?

Default Re: Higher supply on one side

This is just how it is, not just sometimes, most of the time. Most moms produce more on one side than the other. What you are pumping total is an entirely normal amount to be pumping, even maybe on the higher end of normal, and if you are otherwise exclusively nursing your baby and baby is gaining normally, that all indicates your overall production is entirely normal and does not need to be increased.

However you can always try increasing production on one side by increasing the frequency or effectiveness with which milk is removed from that side. Effectiveness I mean- For example you might think about if your pump is perhaps not fitting as well on the left. Some moms need a different size flange for each side.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    This is just how it is, not just sometimes, most of the time. Most moms produce more on one side than the other. What you are pumping total is an entirely normal amount to be pumping, even maybe on the higher end of normal
    Okay good. Ya my right side could literally keep pumping more in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    However you can always try increasing production on one side by increasing the frequency or effectiveness with which milk is removed from that side. Effectiveness I mean- For example you might think about if your pump is perhaps not fitting as well on the left. Some moms need a different size flange for each side.
    That's a good point worth a try anyway maybe I'll try that. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*asingleton5 View Post
    I am EBF but have been pumping once in the morning for back to work storage or a bottle for my husband if he's home with her while I'm out. My right side always produces more than the left. I'm pumping about 2.5-3oz total. Usually if I do 3 I get about 1 from the left and the rest I'll get from the right.
    How can I increase the left supply? Or is that just how it is sometimes?
    I am not EBF, in fact sometimes I believe my supply is too low to do so. But I literally just started today! Anyway my supply is at anywhere 2 to 3 while the left is 1 oz or a half. Everything I keep reading says its normal and you could increase by more feedings. I feel like a failure if I have to give a supplement. I know I could do this! Have you noticed an invrease since your post if so what did you do?