Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy baby and spitting up

Default Gassy baby and spitting up

My daughter is one week old and last night and seems like she has been some kind of gastric distress. Her stomach seems a little puffy and she was very fussy last night. We had to swaddle her and rock her for hours before she would go to sleep. She then slept for about 2 and a half hours. When she nursed, she only nursed for about 7 minutes on one breast and five minutes on the other and then fell asleep. This morning she had an explosive poop while I was changing her and seems to have wet diapers.

Any suggestions for calming her gastric distress. I have some gas drops, but am hesitant to give it to her.

Thanks,
    Meredith

Default Re: Gassy baby and spitting up

What did the explosive poop looks like? Was is greenish and mucusy? Might be a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. See if this link helps.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

If you do have a hindmilk/foremilk problem, the solution is block nursing. Nursing on only one side for a 3-4 hour block of time.

HTH,
    Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Wife to my Marine
    Crunchy mom to my wonderful boys
    Michael 6/02 c-sec
    Willem 1/05 c-sec
    Gavin 6/07 amazing water homebirth VBAC

My son had major issues with gas when he was first born. A lot of it had to do with the fact that I didn't think you have to burp BF babies. Boy was I wrong! There were also times during the first couple of weeks when he was super fussy and my mom rubbed his belly, put him face down across her knees, burped him and bicycled his legs for an hour at a time. I had a strong letdown and it also seemed to take him some time to adjust after my milk came in.

About the explosive poop, as long as it was an age appropriate color (depending on how far you are through passing meconium), it is perfectly normal. For several weeks there's lots of runny poop that comes out quite forcefully at times.

The explosive poop was bright yellow and looked like normal poop (except for being a bit runnier). I have noticed an occasional spot of green in her diapers, does this sound like a hindmilk/foremilk problem?

Is she too young to feed only on one breast during a feeding?

Thanks,
    Meredith

An occassional spot of green shouldn't be a problem. When you feed, it's a good idea to finish the first breast, then offer the second. Finishing usually means either baby comes off and is satisfied, or falls asleep. You can then offer the other breast. (Or, sometimes if they have been on quite a while and their swallowing has really slowed down, but they are clearly unsatisfied, you can switch. I sometimes also switch if the comfort sucking is driving me crazy.) Be sure to start with the opposite breast at the next feeding.

My ds has always made these awful faces right before he has explosive poops. They started out that way, and have been consistantly explosive and wet sounding. He's healthy and happy. I'm not too sure I'd be that concerned with it. As far as the gas goes, seems like everyone has the same complaint; baby's are gassy, unhappy and they seem uncomfy. I think it must be an immature digsetive system thing. 'Course I'm guessing here, not a dr. hth