Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby comes off nipple and screams after 2 minutes

Default Baby comes off nipple and screams after 2 minutes

My baby is 8 weeks old tomorrow, and for the past 2 weeks things have changed with his feeding and sleeping. Normally, he sleeps for 3 hours at a time at night, waking to feed for 10-20 minutes, for 12-15 hours a night. During the day, he normally feeds every 1-2 hours for 10-20 minutes, and has 1 long nap during the day.

Lately, he has been sleeping SO much. He has a long nap during the day of 3-4 hours, and naps constantly for 45mins to an hour after each feeding. He doesn't seem interested in feeding as much, and comes off the nipple and screams, then roots around frantically as if he is starving. So, I put him back on the nipple only to repeat the whole process...until I give up and put him to sleep. It seems as though there is something wrong with my milk, though during the night, and sometimes during the day, he feeds perfectly, so I'm at a loss. Perhaps he genuinely just isn't hungry.

His bowel movement have changed over the past 2 weeks, from bright yellow runny scrambled egg consistency occuring 2-3 times a day, to the now sloppy, dark orange, smelly poop occuring once or twice a day every 2 days.

He is sleeping great at night now, with one long stretch for 4-6 hours, and then another two 3 hour stretches. I'm just worried that he isn't eating enough, due to the lack of interest during the day. He probably feeds once or twice during the day for a decent feed of 20 - 30 minutes, but all other times he just seems so frustrated, that I've ended up rocking him to sleep and he goes down for 3 hours. I then have to wake him to feed, as I worry that it's been too long due to the bad feeding before he fell asleep.

Regardless, he seems to be gaining well. Was 6 lbs 14 oz at birth, and is now 11 lbs 10 oz. He is healthy (I think), and alert. Just starting smiling, and is a joy most of the time (except for the witching hour between 5pm and when he finally falls asleep at night).

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this screaming, rooting but not eating for more than 2 minutes situation.

Grateful for any advice you can offer!
    Rochelleann

Default Re: Baby comes off nipple and screams after 2 minutes

My 5 1/2 mo old has been doing something of this sort for almost a month now. He will go on the breast, drink for a few min, then pull off. I will burp him, and try to put him back on. He will then begin to freak out and will cry, scream, until I take him away. I have wracked my brain trying to figure out what is going wrong. My LO also does this only during the day and not at night. I changed my diet, changed feeding positions, fed him in different room, everything I could possibly think of. I thought all along it was because he was such a burpy gassy guy! He was stressing me out, and in turn, I was stressing him. I had a really hard time to relax while feeding him, and actually dreaded it...sometimes still do. But I think I may have finally figured it out. I think because I am unable to relax, my let down is not happening like it should. And he drinks for a few min, then gets frustrated that's he's not getting anything. He does not do any of this behavior when being fed EBM. I am trying to relax, and calm down during feedings. I try to concentrate on my breathing, slow and steady and not think about anything else. I try to mentally picture my milk flowing to make letdown happen. It's only been two days, and I don't know what the next feeding will bring...but I'm trying it out.
    Not sure if this is your case, but you never know.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if letdown is the issue with DS. The times he has pulled off from my letdown, he has ended up getting squirted in the face with my milk, and has happily gone back on after the strong flow subsides after 10 seconds or so. It seems that he is just really overtired. Just now, for instance, he was fussing, so I put him on the breast to see if that was what he wanted (as he was rooting too), and again he came off after about 30 seconds of frantic nursing. I tried about 10 times to get him interested again on both sides, as he was still rooting and fussing, to no avail. I ended up putting him in his swing seat, and 2 minutes later he is sound asleep. Perhaps he wasn't hungry to begin with, and was only fussing because he was tired?

How much awake time should he have by 8 weeks of age? For DS, it seems to fluctuate between 4 hours and 10 hours a day. Today, he has been awake for about 5 hours only and is asleep now so I'm hoping he'll go the whole night from this point. Fingers crossed.

I would think that if something were really wrong he wouldn't relax so easy and fall asleep. I saw a link to a poop-site that said orange bm's were ok. Perhaps just some growing pains. I bet a moderator will have more to say.
    Hang in there mama!

here's the link to the poop:

http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

Could you maybe try to offer the breast a little earlier than you are? Maybe he is getting too tired? Have you tried offering the breast after he is asleep? Has you son had any bottles? That can sometimes cause frustration at the breast. You might check out this info about OALD http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69.html. If OALD is an issue, it might be that he wants to comfort suck and is annoyed with the flow of milk. Just throwing some ideas out there...

BTW, I found my son's sleep patterns to be one of the greatest mysteries in life. And, as they say, just when you think you are starting to get things figured out, that is when they change.

Thanks for the link to the poop site - I guess DS's poop looks normal then based on the pics.

Last night, DS fed at 5:15 for 5 mins, 6:20 for 2 mins, 7:30 for 4 mins, 8:15 for 5 mins, 9:20 for 2 mins, 10:00 for 3 mins and 10:30 for 2 mins when he fell asleep finally. He slept for 5 hours, then fed long and hard for 25 minutes completely draining both sides, then slept for another 4 hours to wake and drink long and hard again, completely draining one side.

i'm having the EXACT same issue with my dd and she is 4 months tomorrow. i may have low supply, so sometimes i think she is upset that she isn't getting any milk, but every time she re-latches i hear big gulps. maybe it has to do with growth spurts? sometimes the only way i can stop her from nursing like that is if i stand up and walk around while nursing, or lie down with her, b/c she too feeds perfectly at night. my dd always falls asleep after acting like this also. must be a personality type good luck!

my 5 week old does the same thing!.... And just b4 he starts freaing out, I can hear him drinking...almost like, and adult with a bottle of gatorade..gulp, gulp ...but he's more like...3 minutes, quiet peacefull nursing, then i hear, gulp,gulp,gulp..starts to panic, Freak out...pull of...i will burp him, then he'll root around, and REPEAT! ::: HELP!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my 5 week old does the same thing!.... And just b4 he starts freaing out, I can hear him drinking...almost like, and adult with a bottle of gatorade..gulp, gulp ...but he's more like...3 minutes, quiet peacefull nursing, then i hear, gulp,gulp,gulp..starts to panic, Freak out...pull of...i will burp him, then he'll root around, and REPEAT! ::: HELP!