Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Surprise baby due August, wean 15 month old

Question Surprise baby due August, wean 15 month old

I just found out on Friday that I was pregnant again and then yesterday the ultrasound showed that I'm already almost 18 weeks and due August 5. I just don't know if I am up to tandem nursing, plus babysitting. ANy ideas on how to wean without the 15 month old being angry about not nursing?

Default Re: Surprise baby due August, wean 15 month old

Wow -- you must be so surprised to find the pregnancy so far along! I'm amazed you could nurse all through the first trimester before having any nipple soreness! Your child is so fortunate that your nursing relationship has continued so smoothly until now.

I haven't been in your position of needing to wean a toddler. Is your goal to stop as soon as possible, because of soreness etc., or just to have your older child weaned before the new baby arrives? Knowing this might help you figure out the best approach for your situation.

Have you looked at the Weaning board here? They may have some good ideas for you.

Keep us posted on how it's going, okay?

--Rebecca

Oh, congrats that is wonderful news! Did you have your cycle back? This is my hope for the next baby, to be through the first trimester with out knowing it!?!

my last two babies were 2 years apart. When I got pg with my dd my ds was only nursing to go to sleep at night. I just subistuted books and lots of hugs for the nursing. How much is your older one nursing?
    You might want to read some books on weaning, what I found helpfull was to cut back to just nap and bed time. They can understand at that age when you say well you must wait untill nap time.unless they are realy hurt.
    I figured that my ds would give my hubby fits when I was at he hospital with my dd. He had never put him to bed but he did just fine.
    WE never did tandem nurse, He asked one time and I said it was just for the baby and he was ok with that. he was ready to wean.
    I look at my 2 year old and I cann't imagine having another baby but I did with my 4 year old. She is little yet, and in other ways she is realy grown up.
    good luck!

You may also want to consider tandem nursing more. There's a great book in the LLL library called Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Perhaps you could read it and see if it helps you arrive at a decision. No doubt that nursing one baby can be hard work but I've heard really great things about tandem nursing. It can be a really great "tool" when you've got two siblings close in age.

Best of luck with your decision!

I am tandem nursing, but looking back, I probably could have easily weaned my toddler during the second half of pregnancy if I had wanted to. She was not so interested then and would very often not have nursed at all if I had not offered. I think it was probably to do with the milk being scarce and not all that nice. Maybe you could see if your wee one shows any signs of being less interested.

Wow, congrads. I thought I was pragnant in Feb. because I was 8 wks late on menst. But I started the first part of Mar. I had the same guestion because I thout that I had to stop. I soon found out that you can nurse through your whole pragnancy and bf both at once. we share the family bed and I was afraid of the new little one would get squashed by my 15 mo old. But you can sleep inbetween them and they don't bother each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Oh, congrats that is wonderful news! Did you have your cycle back? This is my hope for the next baby, to be through the first trimester with out knowing it!?!

I had to kinda periods, but I have been told that periods can be irregular if you are nursing so I didn't think anything of it.

I was totally suprised that I was not only pregnant but so far along. With my first daughter I knew withtin the first week and was constantly getting online finding out what was developing at each stage. Now that I am 20 weeks along with my second daughter, most everything is already developed, she just going to be getting bigger. Sometimes I wish I could have been as excited about the 2nds development as a I had the 1st and then I think about how sick I was during my first pregnancy. Nevermind! :-)