Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pain, weaning, what is normal?

Default Breast pain, weaning, what is normal?

Some background:
    My 17 month old only regularly nurses upon waking and at bedtime. She has what seems like 20 teeth coming in right now so occasionally on the weekend will have an extra comfort nurse during the day or in the middle of the night but that's few and far between.

I was diagnosed with a yeast infection in my left nipple almost four weeks ago (my right breast is fine/has no issues at all; kid has been ruled out/doesn't have thrush), and been on diflucan and APNO ever since (first 200mg a day for 20 days, now my current course started with 600mg for the first day, 300mg/day for the next 14 days; so I've been on diflucan for almost 30 days at this point!). Between the teething (I gather it's impacting her latch on that side given she's never bitten me but the doc said there's clear trauma to the nipple, however, again, the right side is fine) and healing my left nipple gets a bit better than gets completely traumatized all over again after a feed no matter the position, etc. There are three main blebs that don't seem to be going anywhere (two docs said to leave them be to resolve on their own as they seem resistant to hot shower and light rubbing). Two days ago we began to skip the wake-up nurse to give it some time to heal and she didn't ask so apart from being a bit confused by a new routine she didn't seem too bothered.

Questions:
    After being thrush-pain free for the last few days (but nipple still hurts from the blebs and teething trauma) after nursing her last night I had THE WORST stabbing pains throughout my breast (again, only the left) yet for about three hours. They went away overnight and I haven't had them yet today (did not nurse on wakeup). Can the pain be due to the reduction in nursing or somehow weaning related and not the thrush?
    Could it be the blebs? Can that pain not just stay localized to the nipple but also radiate out? One of the docs I saw said it's possible but the other disagreed (sigh).
    I did notice last night my nipple was half white after nursing and slowly regained color (except for the white blebs). Could I suddenly be getting raynaud's (haven't had it these 17 months of nursing)? I've avoided doing olive oil for the blebs due to the thrush.
    I am not getting engorged at all although I do feel a soft, tender maybe lump in that breast about a quarter inch up from the areola (I say "maybe lump" because it somewhat feels like normal breast tissue and I feel a similar one on the other breast). Should I be massaging/expressing this?

I'm so sad about weaning fully but this ongoing painful battle is taking it's toll on me. I worry about how I'll soothe her through the rest of her teeth coming in but I also cannot bear to think about enduring this (or worse) nipple damage (unrelated to the thrush, even) much longer after these four continuous weeks of pain. But I'm feeling lost as to how to best navigate this without getting mastitis or clogged ducts (both of which I've never, luckily, had but then also have no idea what to look for).

I appreciate any and all advice.
    Last edited by @llli*rw0804; September 20th, 2016 at 01:40 PM.

Default Re: Breast pain, weaning, what is normal?

Hey mama, looks like we missed your post. How are things going now?

Thanks Mommal. It seems the pain, while very much like the pain from thrush, was due to the blebs. After being on Diflucan for almost a month there was no more yeast infection but the stabbing pains continued until one day the main bleb came off (ow ow ow) and the post-nursing pains went away after that. They've come back every now and then but inevitably I notice a bleb starting to callous and the pain goes away when the bleb does. So I guess the lesson is, at least for me but in case it helps anyone else, bleb pain can sometimes, weirdly, mimic thrush pain (that said I very much did at first have thrush).

We are now down to nursing only before bed but at least not fully weaned.

Thanks for the update! Blebs are definitely nasty and can cause pain that can be mistaken for thrush- not saying you didn't have thrush, just trying to elucidate how the two types of pain can grade into each other! Have you tried using a sterile needle to deal with blebs? When my kids were in heavy teething mode, I was probably lancing a bleb every week or so.