Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First Time Poster With Big Boobie Problem!

Default First Time Poster With Big Boobie Problem!

Hi there!

I have a 17 month old son who is still bf. A few weeks ago, I started having a burning feeling every single time he latched on my left breast. Then it became more painful. I just thought it was from him biting me when he would try to latch on. I didn't even really look at my breast. One morning I did look at it and I saw 2 very small cuts or something. I didn't think that was the problem b/c I was sure I had an infection or something. The cuts were right above my nipple. Suddenly like within a day the cuts started opening up and got bigger. Now they look like holes with white centers. You can see inside of it. It's like a nasty hole. I have 2 of these on my left breast (my son's favorite boob btw). One of the openings is bigger than the other. So he's been using the other boob for about 1 week almost all of the time. I've really cut back on how many times he gets boobie. Now the right one has one of these openings, again right above the nipple. It's become so painful to feed him either one. I was given some kind of antibiotic cream, but was told I had no infection. It's not helping at all. I don't know what to do. What can I use to clear this up? How is he latching on wrong that now both breasts have these wounds. It's really become a nightmare. My sweet little man has become a monster b/c he's not getting his way with me Bedtime is horrible! Help!!! Oh! Btw, I'm about 6 months pregnant. Anyone have any idea what's going on with my breasts? Thanks!
    Last edited by myboycal; December 9th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.

Default Re: First Time Poster With Big Boobie Problem!

Hi myboycal,
    I've moved you here to Extended Breastfeeding.
    Ouch -- this sounds really painful! Do you have any Lansinoh for Breastfeeding Mothers (lanolin)? Moist wound healing (keeping the affected area moist instead of letting it dry and scab up) has been shown to speed healing time.
    There are other remedies listed here in these articles, too:

How do I heal sore nipples?
    Nipple Pain: Causes, Treatments, and Remedies (See the section on treatments and remedies).

Please don't hesitate to go back to a professional healthcare provider if you feel like it isn't improving or it's getting worse.

Do you think these wounds are from biting?

Mary

Thanks for moving me. I bookmarked the website and even bother to check where I was posting!

I was going to try the Lansinoh from when my son was born, but I kind of want to buy a new one. I live 5 minutes from Babies R Us, so I think I'll get that today and give it a try. I think I may go back to trying Neosporin. My left breast now looks like it may be healing, although it doesn't feel like it! I think if I start using the neosporin it might help. We'll see. My son has just become a real pain in the tush! I've cut back on his boobie time and man is he unhappy! I just wish I could cut back on the night feedings, but it's the only way to get him back to sleep. That's when it stinks the moist b/c the pain wakes me completely up! Oh well. I just need to get it nipped in the bud within the next couple of weeks. I'm 6 months pregnant and dying for some sleep! I thought it may be from the biting, but he didn't bite my other breast hard enough recently to make me think that when it got a sore. I have suspect it may be from positioning??? I've tried a few new things. Nothing. I don't know!!!! Thanks for the advice!

On a couple of occasions since my son has been older I've ended up with cracked nipples. It surprised me because I never had them even when he was a newborn and had had no pain at all for so long. I think it was due to a combination of things. He tends to change his suck a bit sometimes when he is teething. Also, sometimes during the night we may not have great positioning and he may pull a lot on the nipple. With a full set of front teeth, this may result in cracks even without actual "biting". In your case, with the pregnancy, he may be sucking a little differently due to decreased supply or something like that. The pregnancy may also cause the pain to be worse. Anyway, for us it was a bit difficult to get them to heal once they cracked. One important step was to sit up during the night to nurse so that I could pay very close attention to positioning. During the day, I tried to vary his positioning a bit so that he was lined up with the less sore part of the nipple, rather than putting the pressure on the same spot all the time. The antibiotic ointment is helpful. You could also try some All Purpose Nipple Ointment (Dr. Jack Newman's) which has an antibiotic, antifungal, and steroid to help healing. You would need a prescription I believe for that, and I'm not sure if there are any contraindications during pregnancy. Here is a link with the components of the APNO: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...s_breasts.html

I will definetly find out about that ointment. Thanks for the reply. It's so funny b/c I am the same way. When he was a newborn, I did have cracked nipples, but it was just an adjustment period. They went away within about 2-3 months. Haven't had one issue since then. Now this! It's not my nipple though. It's right above my nipple. I think my left breast is healing finally!!! My right one is the one he's been using and has become extremely painful. He's a horrible sleeper! Last night we were up just about every hour b/c I had to stop giving him boobie before he wanted me to stop. He would just cry and cry, so I gave it back to him. I was so frustrated. It's so painful. One thing I haven't done is sit up during the night. I think I'll try that. Thing is, he'll wake up when I go to lay him back down. OY! I just don't know what to do at this point. I just wish they'd heal! Thanks for your post!

Your sores I know nothing about. They sound strange and awful and I can only offer sympathy. But your son, on the other hand, with the uncomfortable nursing and the frequent waking definitely seems to be teething. See if he'll let you massage his gums or put some numbing stuff on it... or heck, even Tylenol before bed might help him sleep a little better. Is he fighting teeth brushing too? My dd fights teeth brushing when she's teething. Can someone else tend to him at night for a while so you can get some sleep? He's gonna cry either way, but maybe "out of sight out of mind" might help him find another way to get back to sleep in the middle of the night. Could be good practice for when the new baby is here anyway. You sound like an absolutely wonderful mom. Get better. You don't deserve these sores when you're tandem nursing!

Thanks for your post awnja! It could be that he's teething. I think most if not all of his teeth are in now. He doesn't let me get a good look in the back though. There are no gums to rub really. We had another extremely frustrating night. It's getting bad now. I'm so frustrated with him b/c he just wants boobies, and it is so painful every time. I try to roll over and go to sleep but he screams! I end up yelling at him and feeling horrible about it. I'm just so tired. I wouldn't be so concerned if I wasn't pregnant. My DH is seems supportive, but I honestly don't think he cares. He is a good husband, but he doesn't realize the stress of being pregnant, taking care of a 17 month old, losing sleep because either he's snoring too loud, or my son is screaming b/c he wants boobies! I'm stressed. Last night I just broke down. It's like someone is watching over me and screwing around with me. I know that's not the case and I shouldn't complain, but these past 3 1/2 weeks I've gotten little sleep and I just can't explain the pain in my breasts! Good Grief they hurt! Sorry, I'm just venting now. I'm going to call the La Leche Leader in my area today to get some advice. Here's hoping!

You may want to have a Dr. look at your breasts... the description sounds almost like you may need a stitch or two... sounds like the fatty layer under your skin is exposed! OUCH! I hope this is not the case and you find the relief you need ASAP!

Tiffany

Ouch ouch ouch! That sounds just awful! . I'm a big fan of Lansinoh, but this sounds way more serious than just a nick. I would go with the previous poster's suggestion and go see a doctor, it sounds like some sort of infection, maybe an allergic reaction to something? GL to you, I hope it's nothing serious ...

Dorota

I had a bad yeast infection once and had sores similar to yours except mine never developed white spots, but that's probably because I started treating it before they could develop. The whole story until then is the same though: burning for a couple days, then ow ow ow ow!!! horrible cuts around the part of the nipple that sticks out from the areola. It was very very painful.

I called the lactation consultants "warm-line" at the hospital where I delivered (it's not a hot-line because it's not staffed 24-hours a day). I asked if it would be ok for me to use Oragel before nursing. She said that might make the baby's mouth all numb, so I shouldn't do it. But I did it anyway: I put the Oragel on, then after 5 minutes washed it off and nursed. It was great.

The other thing I did which really helped a TON- as in overnight relief - was instead of waiting to get a prescription for that "all-purpose nipple cream", I made some myself out of clotrimazole, hydrocortisone, and triple antibiotic ointment. I mixed about equal parts of each together in my palm and put it on. Then I let myself air out a bit before going to bed.

In the meantime, I started oral fluconazole (by prescription), which would have provided relief as well, but probably not as fast. I also started treating the thrush that was not yet visible, but must have been there, in my babies mouth with nystatin (also by prescription).

Good luck. I hope you are doing better- since it's now 10 days since your posting!!!