Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I accidentally introduced too much solids!

Default Help! I accidentally introduced too much solids!

So.. I thought the baby food container was 1 tbsp not 5!! I feel so stupid! It was her first time having solids other than cereal and I accidentally gave her 5 tbsp of green beans!!! I feel terrible! It was right before bedtime and she is sleeping now. Is she going to be okay? I'm not going to give her any solids tomorrow at all and I will watch her real close. She has been fine so far tonight. She is 4.5 months old and generally gets 2 tbsp of cereal in the morning and at night. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help! I accidentally introduced too much solids!

Hi and welcome. What exactly is it that you are concerned about? If there is some medical concern with a baby who is already eating solids eating 5T of food at once, I am not sure what it is. Are you concerned she might vomit? If there is some medical concern I suggest call baby's pediatrician.

Also, is there any particular reason solids are being introduced at all before the typical recommendation of 6 months? When solids are introduced after 6 months, and baby is allowed to take what they want rather then having very liquid purees spooned in, there is much less concern over baby somehow over eating solids.

As far as breastfeeding longevity and not over-doing solids goes, aside from waiting until 6 months to introduce solids, I suggest try to have baby nurse before offering solids, and always let baby be the guide- when spoon feeding, let baby grab the spoon and guide it to their mouth for example. Or put mashed or puréed food on babies tray and let baby grab it and bring it to her mouth. After 6 months, many babies can take bites of food in a much more solid form and can pretty much self feed. If you look up 'baby led solids' or 'baby led weaning' you can find information on this.

Default Re: Help! I accidentally introduced too much solids!

with all the above. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about the green beans. But I would also put the solids back on the shelf for another 1.5 months, and take the baby-led solids approach mentioned above. It was a much better approach for my kids than spoon-feeding- it allowed them to regulate their intake of solids themselves, so I didn't need to worry that I was overfeeding them. I think they were more inquisitive about solids because they were in charge of the experience.