Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden profuse leaking at 11 months! Embarrassing story!

Default Sudden profuse leaking at 11 months! Embarrassing story!

I have had oversupply in the beginning of breastfeeding, which regulated once I got back to work. After getting back to work and not being a good responder to pump, I have done decent work to maintain supply and a freezer stash. When my baby was about 10 months, I decided to drop one pumping session. I did this over a course of 2 weeks. At 10.5 months, I was pumping twice a day and getting around 6 oz and giving my baby a mix of frozen + fresh milk. I plan to stop pumping at 12 months as I have some exciting career changes/advancements happening, that would require me to travel a bit more and I do not want to worry about pumping. My baby still nurses 5 times on the days I work and 8-9 times on weekends/holidays. Last week, i visited family in Texas and since then my body has been acting weird. We were in a restaurant and I had fed my baby according to our usual schedule (maybe 45 mins to an hour before). While eating, my cousin pointed out that my breasts are leaking. It was embarrassing as we were with some other people and the restaurant was packed. It was a million degrees, so no one had a jacket. I had to use my cousin's baby's burp cloth pinned across my chest and walked around as a joke. Since then, I leak all the time. I feel the letdown- when I pick up my baby, when she cries, when my cousin's baby cries, when my baby is nursing one side. I have re-started to use breast pads, but I just wanted to check if it is normal. The other day, I noticed that my milk is spraying- while feeding my daughter as usual. I am not sure how long this has been happening, as I only saw this when she got distracted by my dog and broke her latch. I am confused by all this, I had my prolactin levels checked and they were normal. This is throwing a wrench into my pump weaning plans.
    Working mom to a little girl and a big german shepherd!!

Default Re: Sudden profuse leaking at 11 months! Embarrassing story!

I don't think it's that unusual for leaking and milk supply to pick back up at certain points in the first year. My guess is that your family visit threw your body a bit of a curve ball- you and the baby were around a lot of family, you were off of your usual schedule, maybe there was a time difference? I'd give your body a few weeks to settle back into its usual routine before worrying about pump weaning,

If a few weeks come and go and there's no change back to less leaking and lower supply, it might be time to consider taking some steps to actively reduce supply and work towards pump weaning, and perhaps to see the doctor for additional tests. I'd want to do a pregnancy test (because why not?) and a test for thyroid function (because thyroid issues can cause all sorts of weird things to happen), and review your contraception choices. Basically, I'd want to look into anything hormonal!

I have experienced something similar. It is usually temporary and brought about from baby nursing less after nursing a lot. (Never pumped, but same principle.)
    If you feel full at a time you cannot pump or nurse, I suggest learning hand expression.
    Sometimes it is possible to 'stop' impending leaking if mom gently pressed on the breasts when she start to feel a letdown sensation.

Thank you, mommal and maddieb for your response.
    As for being pregnant, I had gotten my periods a week before my Texas visit. I did suspect Thyroid, but it has been tested a lot of times because I have an abnormally high heart rate. However, I am planning to test this again to see if pregnancy caused something. I am not under any contraceptive now, we use condoms. I did get my prolactin levels checked for BC, but decided against it. There was a time difference, however, my baby nursed per California schedule, but I understand I would have confused my body a bit.

I am back to the old pumping and nursing schedule now. I will look into hand expression. I don't feel full anymore, so the leaking is unexpected, and unpredictable. I like the idea of pressing on the breasts to stop leaking or stop the let down. It has been 10 days since the leaking started, and I am still experiencing it. I think I will wait 2 more weeks to let my body do its thing and then look into pump weaning. Once again, thank you for the response.
    Working mom to a little girl and a big german shepherd!!