Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep!

Default Nursing to sleep!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum...

Wanted to ask mums of older babies & toddlers about breastfeeding to sleep. My little one is nearly 5 months & we do it plenty! Every night, many naps!
    I know there's loads of don't do it advise out there. But if you did bf to sleep past 6 months can I ask...

When did you stop?
    Why / how did you stop?
    What happened if you wanted to go out for the evening?
    I'm also wondering about your views on whether it's linked to them waking up more at night?

I'm totally torn between enjoying it, finding it easy, & the fact I'm really not that tired.... .... and then worrying about the future/ thinking she'll keep waking through the night for ages if she can't do the drowsy to sleep thing / it's against all the advice..

(currently dd is just breast feed, fairly chubby, sleeps 8pm - 6/7am ISH with 2 wake ups, 2am & 4am ish, where I bf her back to sleep & a dream feed, & has usually 3 naps totalling 2 hours or so.)

Thank you!
    Xx

Default Re: Nursing to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elizabethy0 View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum...
    Welcome!

When did you stop?
    Bedtime nursing stopped at 3 years with both my kiddos. Nap time nursing dropped out around age 2-2.5.

Why / how did you stop?
    Both kids lost interest, and started to prefer stories, stroller rides, and back rubs to nursing as their way to transition to sleep.

What happened if you wanted to go out for the evening?
    That almost never happened- I liked being there at bedtime for my kids. But when I had to leave them, their substitute caregiver always found a way to get them to sleep. Or didn't- sometimes I would come home to a baby or toddler who was waiting up for me. But that was no big deal- I would just nurse the baby to sleep and then we would sleep in the next morning!

I'm also wondering about your views on whether it's linked to them waking up more at night?
    I personally think night-waking is more about the baby's personality than about anything the parents do. Some kids need parental attention at night, some kids don't. Breastfed babies are likely to want a nursing session as part of their parental attention, because hey, why not?

I'm totally torn between enjoying it, finding it easy, & the fact I'm really not that tired.... .... and then worrying about the future/ thinking she'll keep waking through the night for ages if she can't do the drowsy to sleep thing / it's against all the advice.
    This is a great time to stop reading the fear-mongering advice and do what works for you. There is no one right way to parent, and anyone who tells you that parenting strategy X will inevitably lead to outcome Y is being deceptive.

(currently dd is just breast feed, fairly chubby, sleeps 8pm - 6/7am ISH with 2 wake ups, 2am & 4am ish, where I bf her back to sleep & a dream feed, & has usually 3 naps totalling 2 hours or so.)
    It sounds like you are doing great! Your baby sounds like an easy sleeper right now, and that's wonderful. Just don't be too surprised if she starts waking more in the future. Periods of increased night-waking are common throughout the first year, due to things like teething, illness, and new developmental milestones. They don't happen because of the way you feed the baby or whether or not you adopt some specific parenting strategy.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; September 7th, 2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

It is not against all the advice to nurse a child to sleep. It is against all the ignorant advice from people who have never studied normal biological sleep habits in babies and young children.

I suggest the book Sweet Sleep. This book will explain in detail to you why it is perfectly normal and healthy and not a cause of sleep issues to nurse a child to sleep. Then you can make a truly informed decision about what is going to work best for your family.

I have heard of many incidents where the baby falls asleep only while breast feeding. Ideally all babies should be compulsorily breast fed up to 6 months, gradually introduce him to family foods while continuing to breast feed for 2 years. It is good to nurse as far as possible. It builds the bonding and strengthens the baby with nutrients.The decision is totally yours when to wean and baby too. To check if he is ready for weaning skip a feeding and offer him a bottle or cup instead.

I'm a FTM to a 5 month old and I really struggled with nursing to sleep as well. I really enjoy/enjoyed it but I was torn because of all the things I had read on the Internet.

I finally have decided that I will do whatever works for me and my baby. And nursing to sleep has worked until recently. Recently my baby has nursed before bed and then unlatching and looking at me like an owl. I have been putting her down awake and she has been falling asleep on her own. She still wakes up to eat at night and then I nurse her back to sleep. I suppose we are doing a hybrid of nursing to sleep for the overnight feeds and putting down awake at the beginning of the night.

This leads me to my next thought nursing to sleep (or not) will not lead to your baby sleeping through a feeding in my opinion. I think night waking has to do with personality and just what type of baby you have in general.

My advice is to enjoy the nursing to sleep while you can. It doesn't last forever and those snuggles are the best !

That's it.

Thank you all very much for your advice! There seems lots of wisdom in there.

Sorry it has taken me ages to reply - I couldn't work out how to log on again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rogi2430 View Post

looking at me like an owl.
    This is very funny.!