Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit-up/non projectile vomit 1-2x/day

Default Spit-up/non projectile vomit 1-2x/day

First time mom here with a wonderfully sweet 10 day old little girl. She thoroughly enjoys BF, sometimes to the point where she takes in too much causing her to spit up/vomit (gushing style, not projectile). I took her to the pediatrician and spoke with my LC and both seem to think she just eats too much for her tiny stomach. She is already 6 ounces over her birthweight, has more than 4 poops a day, and adequately pees as well.

I have noticed that when I attempt to burp her after a feeding that she spits up/vomits more frequently than when I just let her sleep after nursing. Occasionally when I change her position she produces a burp, however doesn't seem uncomfortable if no burp is produced. After vomiting, she seems relieved and doesn't seem fussy before the episode.

With that being said, my questions are as follows:

1. Any tips or suggestions on how to get her to slow down/recognize that she is full? I have read that babies will just "know" however sometimes it seems as if she will just keep going.

2. I have tried switching breasts mid-feeding but she tends to lose interest, but then wakes up a half hour later wanting to nurse again, versus using only one breast per feeding in which case she typically can go 2-2.5 hours between feedings. Any suggestions?

3. Is it always necessary to burp a BF newborn? I find myself nervous to do so because of the potential to increase likelihood of vomiting.

Default Re: Spit-up/non projectile vomit 1-2x/day

1. Any tips or suggestions on how to get her to slow down/recognize that she is full? I have read that babies will just "know" however sometimes it seems as if she will just keep going.
    - Give her time. A new baby has to LEARN how to identify her own satiation cues, and part of the learning process is going overboard and filling her tummy too full and experiencing spit-up as a result. It's just like being an adult who finds lasagna delicious and comforting but has to learn not to take a third helping because it invariably results in heartburn.
    - Burp her once or twice over the course of the feeding. Taking a pause may give baby a chance to realize that she's full and doesn't want to eat any longer.
    - Use reclined feeding positions to slow down the flow of milk to the baby. Mom leaning back in a chair, or reclining on pillows, or even flat on her back, with baby held tummy to tummy with her.

2. I have tried switching breasts mid-feeding but she tends to lose interest, but then wakes up a half hour later wanting to nurse again, versus using only one breast per feeding in which case she typically can go 2-2.5 hours between feedings. Any suggestions?
    If your baby is satisfied with one breast, why switch sides mid-feeding? Often moms are told things like "Nurse 10 minutes on the first breast and then switch and do 10 minutes on the second breast so that there is equal stimulation". Not a great approach for a lot of mom-baby pairs. A better approach is usually the "Finish the first breast first" approach, in which mom offers breast A for as long as baby wants. Once the baby comes off of breast A or starts to drift off to sleep, mom switches baby to breast B, offering it as a sort of dessert, and not sweating it if baby takes it.

You should expect some feedings to come very quickly after the baby finished the last one. 30 minutes in between feedings is not at all unusual in such a young baby.

3. Is it always necessary to burp a BF newborn? I find myself nervous to do so because of the potential to increase likelihood of vomiting.
    Nope, many breastfeeding moms NEVER burp their babies. Burping helps some babies, but it's not necessary as a matter of routine. It came into fashion as part of baby care during the formula era, probably as a way to give women more to do.

One thing you really shouldn't worry about is spit-up. In a healthy, growing baby, spit-up is totally normal. It's an annoyance, not an indication of something being wrong, or a sign that you should be changing how you feed your baby. Spit-up happens because babies have short esophagi (less distance for milk to travel), weak muscles at the top of their stomachs (makes it easier for stomach contents to slip back up into the esophagus), and because they spend a lot of time lying down (gravity is not helping stomach contents stay in the stomach).

In addition to reclined feedings and finish the first breast first nursing approaches, here are some things that can help with spit-up:
    - Hold the baby very upright after feedings
    - If you are pumping, put the pump back on the shelf until 4-6 weeks have passed- unnecessary pumping in the early days can perpetuate oversupply and fast letdown issues which may spit-up more likely
    - Extra bibs and onesies
    - Swab out baby's beck folds once a day with warm water and mild soap, so that spit-up caught in neck creases doesn't fester and turn into "neck cheese"

I agree with mommal on everything. This recent thread also addresses massive spit up concerns: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...now-what-to-do

In regards to burping, I have tried burping her more often with hopes of relieving some of that gas build up and increasing her recognition of when she is full. I'm finding some difficulty with this task, but then when my mother, or someone else, goes to burp her, it seems much easier for them. I try to replicate what they do, with of course some flexibility as I am sure that she changes her positional preference from moment to moment. With that being said, are there any tips/tricks that you (or anyone know of). I have tried her over my shoulder, sitting my lap, lying prone on my lap.

My tip is to not worry about routine burping. When a baby needs help to burp, in my experience they let you know by displaying discomfort, and by that point, the burp will probably come right up with placing baby head above tummy and a few pats. To my knowledge there is typically no need to relieve gas buildup? (I assume you mean swallowed air?) and I have never heard of burping a baby to increase recognition a baby is full. Babies may nurse past literal fullness because suckling at the breast itself it comforting and beneficial. This does not cause any harm.

Perhaps helpful article on various techniques for burping, including an explanation on why breastfed babies usually do not need routine burping. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...s/burping-baby