Baby's Poop

by Erin Pushman, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
, Breastfeeding Today, August 2016

Breast milk baby's poop: What to expect—and learn—from baby’s diaper for the first six weeks.

Five days into my second child’s newborn life, I opened his diaper and found what I had been waiting—no, hoping—to see: a mustard-yellow poop smeared on the inside of his diaper. I was delighted and relieved. For the first ten days, I continued to watch my son’s diaper for signs that he was getting enough to eat.

I was not the first mother to glean important information from her baby’s poopy diaper. Knowledge is power in the baby poop department. A diaper-savvy mom can look for important signs about her own milk supply, the baby’s nutrition, and even potential problems like allergies.

So what should you expect from baby’s diaper?

During the first day of life, your little newborn is going to make a blackish, tar-like mess called meconium. Meconium is a baby’s first stool, the one she made by ingesting mucus, amniotic fluid, and other materials in the womb. The good news is that your breastfed baby isn’t going to poop a lot at the very beginning. In the first postpartum days, a baby is pulling colostrum from mother’s breasts. That early, nutrition-packed milk comes in miniature servings that are just right for baby’s miniature stomach—and somewhat laxative to help get rid of the meconium. Those small servings of mom’s colostrum won’t lead to lots of dirty diapers, but moms can look for specific signs that mean baby is getting enough to eat.

Read more...