Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing strike over 1 month already.. Help!!

Default Nursing strike over 1 month already.. Help!!

My 8 month old MG started her strike last month in early November which coincides with the time my period came back, Since then, she has been refusing the breast and only taking the bottles of expressed breastmilk. As I'm working, i had to pump and the caregiver would give her the milk in a bottle, since she was 3 months old. This arrangement worked well till she was into her 6.5 month. I would breastfeed her in the late afternoon and at night. She does not wake up at night to feed though. I also started her on solids only at 6 months.

I was totally wrecked then in Nov and had been reading up the threads of different mothers experiencing the same thing. I've tried everything, skin contact, offering while sleepy or asleep, walking around, carrying her all day, withholding bottle totally even (it pains your heart to see her hungry), changing artificial nipple to stage 2 down from 4, But it does not work well. I did manage in the past 2 weeks to nurse only once at 5am when she's asleep and even that is failing the last 2 days. She simply refuses to open her mouth, sucking inwards her lower lip all the while. Now it's down to zero breastfeed time. I feel so discouraged and sad, that this is happening. Is this a sign to me that she is self weaning already? I want to continue breastfeeding her for as long as possible. Help!! I dunno what next to do now...

Default Re: Nursing strike over 1 month already.. Help!!

I went through a 14 day strike which I about lost my mind. She would cry (scream), kick and push herself away from me when I tried to nurse her. Everyone told me to give up because she had weaned herself except for the LLL. One night after much crying she latched on while nursing in bed (which we usually do not do). Have you read the suggestions from LL? Now, she nurses fine and more than ever. I would keep trying... You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris

Thank you Chris for the support. I've been trying again this morning at 5 plus and again, she seems to know that a breast is in her face, she refuses to open her mouth and keeps on her sucking lower lip action, even after i tried to prise it open, resulting in her crying and arching away. I tried again after carrying her for 20 minutes, and again it happened. I tried 3 times in the whole hour without success.

That really broke me down. I did notice that her breathing was somewhat loud, does it mean that stuffy nose will affect breastfeeding?

Yes, as far as I know stuffy nose can affect bf, because while they are nursing, they can only breath through their noses. Have you tried using a humidifier to help with the stuffy nose?
    to you for trying so hard and for pumping and giving ebf (that`s really time consuming and hard) I assume you`ve tried every trick under the sun to get her back to nursing. Have you tried taking a nice bath together and offering your breast in there? Although, I have not tried nursing in the tub, our bath time is always a very special bonding experience. Sorry, I don`t have any better advice.
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Awe, I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it does make it EXTRA tuff. A stuffy nose really can make them not want to eat. I dealt with this a lot when dd was just a couple of months old. The bath thing is a GREAT Idea, I do it a lot if dd just hasn't nursed much during the day, it helps to calm her down. I've also started going into her room and laying on the floor in the dark before laying her down for the night. That has helped a lot.

More ideas: (You may have tried them, but I thought I could list what I've read to do. My dd is not a comfort nurser and isn't as attached to nursing as I wish she were. I have dealt with lots of times I feel like she doesn't want to anymore, and then she'll come back around! Hope these help!)
    First off I would take A WAY the bottle. Don't starve her, but take a way the bottle. Give her the EBM in a cup or from a straw, or a syringe. The bottle is a VERY easy way for babies to get the milk and it makes them prefer it to the nipple as they must work for it from them.
    Secondly, Try nursing laying down, I've heard this helps a lot. I can only get
    my dd to do this at nighttime before going to bed.
    Taking baths together,
    While she's asleep, keep doing what your doing by getting her up to nurse her. Do you rock her or walk when you do this? It seems to help me if I rock when dd hasn't eaten good during the day I will put her to bed early and then get her up and try to latch her while she sleeps. Many times she won't unless I'm moving with her.
    Is she trying to get teeth? Try giving her some teething tablets or orjel just before nursing.
    Ummm, trying to think of some others...
    Do you wear her in a sling? Can you nurse her in one, maybe the movement would help her relax enough to want to latch on.
    These are things I have been told and have tried. I think the one that helped me most was taking away the sippy cup. You have to take away all things that she can use to meet her sucking need. You want your nursing times to do that for her, KWIM? I was giving dd a sippy cup (one that has she has to suck on to get the water) anyway she started not wanting to nurse as often, I took it away and only gave it to her during meals, That helped sooo much.
    I hope these things help. Let us know how things go. I will also keep you in my prayers, I know how hard it can be, especially when you're not sure weather you should keep going or not. I do feel that babies NEED to nurse until one year and it's best if they nurse until two years. That's what I"m aiming to do!! Let me know if I can help with anything else, or if you just want to chat about it!! Good luck. ((hugs))

Thank you mommytoone for the insightful info. I've just ordered a sling online and it would be shipped next week. Can't wait to use it. I'm not good at carrying a 8kg weight and trying to nurse while walking around.

Mg is now on stage 2 nipple and taking 6 oz fr the bottle each time, she choked on the cup and syringe before and is not keen on them. I'll try the straw. I'm just afraid that she is not getting enough to drink if i take AWAY bottle totally. She lasted on 6 oz the whole day, after I tried withholding it and starving her to get her to nurse. I relented and gave back the bottle at dinner time, much to my husband's relief.

I really do share your thoughts about feeding till as long as I could, up to 1.5 years old at least. In fact, mg is somewhat similar to your dd, she's quite independent i find, using her own methods to sleep rather than nurse. I'll give mg a few more days to clear her nose. She must have caught it from me, we dun have a humidifier at home. We just use the fan at room temp. Will try out the bathing strategy tomorrow. I hope it works!! I'm getting really desperate now...

I don't know how to phrase this well but it seems that my husband thinks that i'm trying to get mg backwards instead of forward with my efforts at getting her to nurse again. He can't see why I'm doing all these things to nurse again, if the baby has taken to the bottle, she has become more independent. How do i explain this to him? I just feel instinctively that i have to nurse her as long as I could. Cos he would always argue back that the bottle of expressed milk is as good and mg is still getting the important nutrients . My mom and mom-in-law are formula believers cos they brought us up that way, I was bfd for 1 month only. They think I'm doing a lot of unnecessary stuff and they share my husband's views about the bottle. Any suggestions on how to convince them of what i'm doing? I really do appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks..

Thank you so much. The resources on the kellymom site were really useful, but I'm still trying to get her to open her mouth. Even when asleep, she'd make her sucking action but her jaws are firmly locked. Any suggestions on how I could make her open her mouth? She also tends to tilt her head away fr my breast while sleeping, though i carry her close to my chest.

I've been trying it out 2 days of taking away the bottle after her morning bottle consumption, full day skin contact and sleeping together in the day, warm baths together and spoon/syringe feeding her. Still no improvement, she's still clamping her lips together and turning away her head while sleeping. Not been able to latch her on at all. I wonder if this is really self weaning on her part, should i persevere longer or give up after 1 week of doing this?

She cries for milk but i dun give her the bottle and yet she doesn't want my breast either, takes about 30ml of milk each time by spoon. It hurts so much to see her suffer like that. Her urine output is quite concentrated, I;m worried if it's gonna be detrimental to her health. What should i do? Will water help to hydrate her further? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

At this point, I would be finding my local LLL leader, or schedule a visit with the consultant at your hospital.