Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latched on all night

Default Latched on all night

My 5 month old has been sleeping in our bed since she was born with no problems. Lately she wantes to sleep the entire night latched on. If I remove her mouth from my nipple she wakes up immediately and cries. She will only stay asleep latched on to me. I am feeling frustrated like something is wrong---Is she getting enough to eat?--I am feeling pressure from family to start on solids and supplement-- I really don't want to do that-- Am I being selfish? I am confused and stressed-Any advise or comments would be helpful.

Default Re: Latched on all night

First of all, you're doing great, so don't be hard on yourself. I'm sure she's getting plenty to eat. Most likely, you have become her pacifier. She's having enough wet/dirty diapers, right? Don't let your family pressure you into supplimenting. BM is the best food she can have. Until you and your baby are ready to intorduce solids, stand your ground. If you can sleep with her latched on all night, just let her do it. If you can't get any rest, you may want to try to get her to take a paci, or encourage her to suck her hand/finger. She may be needing extra comfort right now b/c of teething. In that case it will pass in time. Good luck!!

There are a couple of us going through the same thing but with 8 month olds. It must be a phase that will hopefully pass soon!! My DS is waking about every hour and crying to nurse. He cosleeps but I just don't sleep well when he is doing that. You must be exhausted...I am. You definitley could use a pacifier for nighttime. I keep trying it but he doesn't do much with it! It could also be a growth spurt....is your baby nursing more during the day,too? As far as the solids go, I did NOT notice an increase in sleeping time with the start of solids so don't feel pressured to start that. Actually, I'm sure my DS had some trouble with certain foods because his 6-7 month old body wasn't ready for them. Get some rest today

My daughter did the exact same thing and it lasted about a week and then stopped for several weeks. The last 3 nights she is at it again. I think it must be some kind of phase she is going through. Either a growth spurt or she just wants to be close to mommy.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Remember the days of "Cluster feeding" where she would stay attached for hours? It's not a bad sign. Just a sign that she is probably "Upping" your supply! She's got big developmental milestones every where you look! Sitting unassisted and using her arms are probably right here! Don't worry! Your doing nothing wrong. Continue to be as available to you baby as she need you to be and your bond will do nothing but strengthen!

Way too lazy for formula

My 4 mo old kiddo does this too, and sometimes I just have to put up with it. Other times, these steps help:

1) He's still hungry and will pop off after I nurse him on the other side.
    2) I pop in my pinky finger to break the seal. The key is to do it sloooowly. Finger nudge in--a little further--a little further--the nipple slid out a bit--a bit more, a bit more. Nipple out, pinky stays. It often works if I spend at least two or three minutes on the process.

Some folks say that you can hold their jaw shut gently to encourage them to relax after you remove them. It doeesn't work for me.

The frustrating thing for me is how soon he wakes up after I've gone through this process. If I try to nurse him down, he'll wake up 15 minutes later. I can tell he wants to still be asleep--he puts on his big sad face.

So if you all have any tips on how to get a kid popped of and stay that way, phew!, I'd be grateful!
    Last edited by St Louis Mom; December 17th, 2006 at 10:50 PM.

Eden has great advice. Sounds like you are the pacifier, try to slip your pinkey finger in and remove the latch slowly and let your LO continue to suck your finger. If you are not against a pacifier you can use that as well, but it might be harder to slip in without your LO waking up. Good luck, it is quite sweet knowing that you are counted on in so many ways Mom!!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

My little guy is almost 5 months and is doing the same thing. On nights when we both manage to sleep, I wake up and say, "oh, he was latched on almost all night." When I don't get enough sleep, I'm angry lady and spend a good part of the following day trying to figure out how to "solve" the "problem." Then I take a nap, usually with lo, and I feel much better about the whole thing. Getting enough rest is key. Life is just more livable when you've gotten enough rest.

There was a time when I wouldn't automatically offer the breast. I would cuddle him instead. Sometimes that worked and replaced one of the marathon nursing sessions, or part of one. I might try that again. Who knows?

Theresa