Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from bottle to breast question

Default Weaning from bottle to breast question

My baby is 8 weeks old. I've been EPing since birth as he has had trouble latching. I have worked on trying to get him to latch and nurse more effectively and the good news is that his latch now is much much better and comfortable enough that I can put him on the breast serveral times a day without re-injuring my nipples. The problem is that he doesn't seem to be nursing like his hunger counts on it. He will latch, suck nicely with good swallow for perhaps 2-3 minutes and then just hang out there taking small, choppy sucks for the rest of the time. Or he just simply falls asleep. Even when naked with the AC on.

That said, I want to wean him off the bottle as this cycle of nurse/pump/bottle is extremely time consuming and affecting my relationship with my family.

These are my questions. I read the articles about weaning back to breast and it says to reduce your supplementation an ounce per day every three days. Is such a gradual approach always the best way? I feed on demand with the bottle and offer 4oz anytime he's hungry. He he eats anywhere from 20-30 oz a day, it really varies. So how do I reduce his supplementation one ounce at a time when his intake varies by 10 oz? I feel like i'll never wean him if he always knows he'll get a bottle after nursing.

Default Re: Weaning from bottle to breast question

These are my questions. I read the articles about weaning back to breast and it says to reduce your supplementation an ounce per day every three days. Is such a gradual approach always the best way?
    Is this the recommendation for baby's weaning from breastmilk bottles or formula? The only article I know of on this issue is on kellymom, and it is specifically for weaning off formula.

Many moms are trying to wean baby off formula as they are also attempting to increase their milk production. In that case a very gradual approach is probably safest. But That is a different situation than when a mom makes enough milk but is trying to wean baby off bottles. Assuming baby is capable of nursing normally, then if a mom makes enough milk for her baby, the weaning process can very possibly progress much faster. As far as how much to reduce each time when baby takes in a wide variety (normal) I think you have to accept that a lot of that is going to be guesswork.

I would also agree that giving baby a bottle AFTER baby nurses may create that expectation in baby. There is no inherent need to always supplement after a baby nurses. Needed supplements can be given before baby nurses or at a separate time from nursing, so baby can experience "finishing at the breast."

As you wean baby off bottles are you and baby under the care of a breastfeeding knowledgeable doctor or LC?