Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is Block Feeding?

Default What is Block Feeding?

I've seen on other threads and I was wondering if someone explain to me what block feeding is?

Default Re: What is Block Feeding?

I found the following on the Kellymom website. It is truly meant for mom's with overactive letdown (OALD) and/or oversupply:

Adjust your supply to better match baby's needs

If baby is gaining weight well, then having baby nurse from only one breast per feeding can be helpful.
    If baby finishes nursing on the first side and wants to continue nursing, just put baby back onto the first side.
    If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    Avoid extra breast stimulation, for example, unnecessary pumping, running the shower on your breasts for a long time or wearing breast shells.
    Between feedings, try applying cool compresses to the breast (on for 30 minutes, off for at least an hour). This can discourage blood flow and milk production.
    If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.
    Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
    Additional measures that should only be used for extreme cases of oversupply include cabbage leaf compresses and herbs.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

For women with oversupply and overactive let down issues it's a way to help control milk production by feeding several times in a row on the same breast (instead of alternating every time).

See info here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    "Strategies to Slow Down the Rate of Milk Production"

and
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fa...down.html#help
    "Adjust your supply to better match baby's needs"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks ladies, this answered my question.