Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling off weight charts?

Default Falling off weight charts?

Hi, I am wondering if this is a problem or not. My son was born 8.8oz which is in the 75th percentile for weight. Since then he has been consistently falling and now at three months is less than the 5%ile. Today at three months he weighed 10.11oz. We are working thorugh some slow weight gain issues but I do't want him to suffer in the meantime. He is very long just really thin. People always comment on his appearance and how tiny he looks. Anyone else out htere with tall skinny babies? Is there a breastfeeding babies chart out there?
    Denise

Default Re: Falling off weight charts?

Hi, all 3 of my kids are long and skinny and all of them are in the 5th % for weight! With mine, though, they've pretty much always been there and haven't really dropped off..my oldest DD wasn't even on the chart at birth since she was so preemie

What does the ped say?? I think there IS a bf weight chart out there, but I don't remember the site..Hopefully someone will know!

Tiffany

Smile Re: Falling off weight charts?

My son is also a very long lean baby. He gained weight amazingly at first (an ounce plus a day for the first 3 months, excluding the first week). He now seems to have really slowed down on weight gain but keeps getting longer and longer. He is now 4.5 months old and is over 28" long. We had to change his infant car seat at 2 months because he had already reached the max height of 26". (He was 8 lb 3 oz, 21.25 inches at birth) People also mention that he seems so tiny, but long. We have friends who have a baby 4.5 months older (9 mos). They thought our son looked so small because their baby is extremely chubby, but when I laid my ds next to theirs and showed them that they are the same length, they couldn't believe it.

As long as your doctor doesn't seem concerned, I wouldn't worry. I just keep telling people that his weight gain can't keep up to his gain in height.

Deb in Ontario

Talking Re: Falling off weight charts?

hi
    this is my ds also. i took him to a WIC appt on monday and he weighed 9lbs 8oz and he is 7 wks (birth weight 6lbs 9oz). he was born on wed. by friday he was down to 6.2. my milk came in sat and by monday all was good. anyways the WIC lady said that according to his height his weight was a bit low and that his doc "may" want to supplemeant with formula (we see doc nxt friday for his 2month check). i believe she said he was in the 5th percentile. i told her fine but hes EBF and that the charts are made for FF babies.

he has enough wet/poopie diapers. is alert and happy and most importantly is gaining the 4-6oz a wk.

most if not all charts are made for FF babies.

is your doctor worried about your ds weight gain? if not then like me and prob a few others you just have a tall skinny baby.
    so try dont worry.

rachael

I just found this growth chart link.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

Hi there, I too have a long and lean baby, 9 1/2 months and 16 pounds 11 ounces. Please look at the baby not the scale. www.drjaygordon.com, you will find that article there. Thomas has slowed his weight gain a lot but he is so busy, moving everywhere! Also we are not "big" people, I am 5'3 and dh is 5'6. When we realized that he was on the small side I did make sure that I was nursing in the dark room several times a day and that he was getting "full" feedings etc. We are going back to the doctor for a weight check in 2 weeks and it is a possibility that we will have some test run just to be sure that it is genetics and not something else. My doctor said that it is not healthy to continue to "fall"on te charts but that some babies are just smaller than others. Yours and mine may have now found their new "curve" on the charts and could stay there for a while. You may also find some helpful info on the Kellymom site, I think that there are charts for BF babies there. Best of luck

Hi there. I share you same concerns. I am soooo tired of hearing how little but long my guy is by everyone. We supplemented/ing here's how it has gone for us.

My ds and yours are quite similar. My guy is 11 weeks today. He was born at 8.2, dropped to 7.12 then went to 8.8. He always nurses for an hour , so it isn't a feeding issue (and no sleeping - even from day one he surprised the lactaction consultant at the hospital). He stayed at 8.8 for two weeks, but grew two inches longer. Much to my dismay, we were instructed to supplement 1 oz of formula after each time he nursed, and one full feeding of formula in the middle of the night. Two weeks later he weighed 9.12 and grew another inch: say his is still light but the ped Dr. said he looks great. Everything is on track with him: diapers, alertness, activity (VERY active - maybe that's why!), gooing, cooing and chating in his own language. So, we were able to eliminate the 1 oz supplements and only give him one bottle a night. I am trying to see this bottle of formula thing as a good thing and using it as a perfect opportunity to build up my supplies of stored bm as I will be returning to work soon. We go to the Dr's Wednesday for another weight check and to see if we can eliminate the one formula feeding next- wish us luck!

So, maybe you might like to try the same thing (or not - formula is sooooo stinky!). Short term supplementation, build up of supplies, and a little one that is back on track. I cried like crazy at first thinking it was all over for the bf, that something was wrong with my baby, and to top it off, the Dr we saw that day blamed me for not eating enough. She didnt even inquire about my diet! Needless to say we saw a different Dr. the next time. So hang in there and don't allow yourself to be guilt ridden. Personally, I think if their diapers, activity, alertness and sleep/ wake schedules are on track, all is good.

Keep this in mind: I am going to school for speech-language pathology, and my teachers have told me that percentiles are based on something like one city in Oklahoma or some midwestern town. Percentiles are just norms not exacts!

Sorry this is so long, but I hope this helps! - You are not alone I wish I would have heard the same story while I was in the throes of my meltdowns!

Good luck!

Please Search on "falling off growth chart" and read my new thread about B-12 MMA testing. It is definitely something to check out. Testing urine for Methylmalonic acid is non-invasive. And, if your child has a high level (above 3.6/3.8) you should see a hemotologist or gastroenterologist.

Silver,
    What was your baby's lowest weight? Is your baby steadily gaining?

hi,

I see plenty of people have responded to your question. I just want to share my story. My bb was 6.5 lb and 20 inches when he was born. he's 9 months now and is almost 17.5 lbs. my sister-in-law's baby is 5.5 months younger than mine and he's 15+ lb already. I'm so sick and tired of her repeating her bb's weight and remarks about my bb losing his chubby cheeks. Anyway,the most useful web site I found was www.kellymom.com. There is a growth chart there for breastfed babies like one of the replies you got. What I do is I weigh all my babies' diapers. From the website, it says 8 to 15 oz of urine per day is a good indication that baby is getting enough milk.

What did your doc say? If he/she thinks that your bb is gaining enough weight, it should help lessen your worries a little.

I hope your doc will help you find out why. Meanwhile, ignore all these comments that drive us crazy. Good luck!
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; April 3rd, 2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: fix link name