Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby nurses but not satisfied

Default baby nurses but not satisfied

Due to latch issues and losing too much weight, the doctor recommended pumping and bottle feeding. This worked well. My milk supply was good, early on double what the baby needed and now at 4 weeks I am pumping around 8 extra ounces a day so I was more focused on being able to store milk for when I went back to work and would need to pump anyway. I try to get her to breastfeed at least once a day, sometimes it works fine, sometimes she is too upset to latch and I need to bottle feed. Other times she latches and is getting milk, but after nursing from both breasts she gets fussy and won't nurse anymore and I need to offer a bottle of pumped milk (I am able to pump out milk, so it's not a supply issue, and breast will soften so she is getting milk). While I am ok exclusively pumping, it would be nice to know I could breastfeed her while out. as it stands now I don't trust that she won't get too fussy to try so always have to bring a cooler with expressed milk if going out without a pump. any ideas how to help? Like I said, sometimes it works no problem. And when I do bottle feed I am doing paced feedings.

Default Re: baby nurses but not satisfied

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

What you are expericinging is very common when a baby gets most or all of her needs met via bottle. The way you walk that back is by doing some or all of the following:
    - Offer the breast as often as you can, in lots of different situations. Offer when the baby is hungry. Offer when she's half full and when she's pretty much completely full. Offer when she's sleepy, when she's cranky, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the day, in your hours, outside your house, etc.
    - Instead of concluding feedings with a bottle, try starting with the bottle, latching the baby on only after she has had a few oz of milk and is not so franticly hungry. Ending feedings at the breast helps to convince baby that the breast is a pleasant place to hang out and fall asleep, a place where she feels cuddled and warm and satiated.
    - Strive to keep baby's feedings fairly frequent, as they would be if she were exclusively breastfed. Breastfed babies usually eat a4 least 8x per day, and most will eat more often than that. If your baby is eating rather infrequently- say 8 or fewer feedings per day- try decreasing the size of her bottles. At 4 weeks, a baby should eat no more than 2-4 oz at a time. Larger feedings will likely decrease her incentive to nurse.
    - Keep on doing the paced feedings!