Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not latching from one breast

Unhappy Baby not latching from one breast

Hi, everyone

My little one (2 weeks old) is not latching from my left breast. He tries, but he immediately starts to cry a lot and rejects it. This started one day and out of the blue. At the moment, I'm extracting my milk from that breast with a breast pump. I don't know why this is happening. What do you suggest me to do? I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Baby not latching from one breast

I think that generally speaking the two most common causes of baby refusing one side is 1) Baby cannot get a good latch on that side or 2) Baby can latch but the flow is either too fast or too slow. In most cases at such a young age, the issue would be fast flow, unless mom has very low milk production. Another reason flow is slowed is not by low production but by a milk duct plug or engorgement that causes inflammation inside the breast that makes it hard for baby to extract milk. If you are able to pump without any issue, you can probably rule out a plug or engorgement causing a problem, and I assume milk production is normal. But the breast being engorged might also make it hard for baby to latch.

Some questions: When did this start?

Any reason to think you are engorged or that the milk flow on that breast is very fast or forceful? Any reason it might be harder for baby to latch well on that side?

When you pump about how much do you get? How many times a day do you pump?

Right now, are you continuing to nurse on one side and is baby gaining fine? Or are you supplementing with what you pump?