Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare asking to supplement baby with formula!

Default Daycare asking to supplement baby with formula!

My baby is 9.5 months old and is happy and healthy! She goes to the daycare from 9 to 5:30, 5 days a week. She wakes up at 7:30am, I nurse her (both sides), she has her breakfast (fruits and oatmeal) at 8:00am, and we get to the daycare at 9:00am. I send her with 8oz of milk, 1 jar of homemade food (with meat) and 1 jar of fruit and veggies. I used to go and nurse her during lunch as well, but the daycare people said that makes her sad when I leave, so I stopped it. However, they have been pushing for me to give them a can of formula. I am now wondering if 8oz milk and 8oz solid is not enough for an infant (for the time she is away). I asked them if they are overfeeding and they said no, and that she finishes both the bottles without any effort. At this point, I have only two options:
    1. Supplement with formula. I nurse her at 6:30pm, then 8:30pm, a dream feed at 11pm, and two more times at night (we cosleep).
    2. I already pump 3x at work, and really cannot add another session. But I can try to wake up at night and pump, and probably send her with 10 oz to day care (4oz, 3oz, 3oz). I am not sure how realistic this is, considering I am a deep sleeper and we cosleep.

Please help!

Default Re: Daycare asking to supplement baby with formula!

I also send my almost 9 month old with 8oz of milk and he takes some solids and he seems satisfied. Instead of sending another bottle, could you try sending the same quantity of milk but in 3 bottles?

Thank you for your response. I am going to try 3 bottles of 8oz (total), if I can't bring myself to wake up mid-night and pump. It is reassuring to know that 8 oz is not insufficient.
    Last edited by @llli*zambomommy; July 21st, 2016 at 04:30 PM.

I find it inappropriate that the daycare told you to stop coming to nurse your baby at lunchtime. You visiting your child is not making your child sad - that's ridiculous. Yes children tend to react when they say goodbye to their mommies that's just normal I don't see why reconnecting during the day is overall not a good thing for you and your baby. So if you would like to continue to come at lunchtime my first suggestion is to reinstate doing so.

I also think there is no reason they need to be giving your child more food. Milk, formula or anything else. Assuming your baby is gaining normally you simply tell them my baby is gaining normally and I'm not going to send more food and that's the end of it.

You are the parent. They are your paid employees who care for your child part of the day. You know your baby best and know what is best for your baby. What you say goes.

It's really funny how entitled people feel to tell you how they think you should do things. I think you should trust your gut and protect your rights as a breastfeeding mother.

Are you and your day care using paced bottle feeding? I am a first time mom and my baby hasn't been born yet but I have heard that this method of bottle feeding breast fed babies is best. Studies have shown that babies don't actually have nipple confusion, it's more of a flow issue. There are some youtube videos that teach you how to do this and I think it may be worth trying and teaching your day care.

https://youtu.be/TuZXD1hIW8Q

https://youtu.be/UH4T70OSzGs

Also, I personally don't think I would allow the day care to tell me if I can or can't nurse my baby at lunch. You are a working mom. Don't compromise more than you have already. If nursing in the middle of the day worked for you, then nurse in the middle of the day. It's a blessing that you work close to your day care and are able to nurse during the day while working. Take advantage of that extra time with your baby. I can imagine you miss it.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zambomommy View Post
    My baby is 9.5 months old and is happy and healthy! She goes to the daycare from 9 to 5:30, 5 days a week. She wakes up at 7:30am, I nurse her (both sides), she has her breakfast (fruits and oatmeal) at 8:00am, and we get to the daycare at 9:00am. I send her with 8oz of milk, 1 jar of homemade food (with meat) and 1 jar of fruit and veggies. I used to go and nurse her during lunch as well, but the daycare people said that makes her sad when I leave, so I stopped it. However, they have been pushing for me to give them a can of formula. I am now wondering if 8oz milk and 8oz solid is not enough for an infant (for the time she is away). I asked them if they are overfeeding and they said no, and that she finishes both the bottles without any effort. At this point, I have only two options:
    1. Supplement with formula. I nurse her at 6:30pm, then 8:30pm, a dream feed at 11pm, and two more times at night (we cosleep).
    2. I already pump 3x at work, and really cannot add another session. But I can try to wake up at night and pump, and probably send her with 10 oz to day care (4oz, 3oz, 3oz). I am not sure how realistic this is, considering I am a deep sleeper and we cosleep.

Please help!
    smileymc53 First time mom

Totally innappropriate for the daycare to pressure you to stop nursing at lunch. If I were in your position, I would say "Since you think my baby needs more milk, I will resume stopping by to nurse her. That way I won't need to use formula, which is important to me." Maybe if you phrase it like that, they will either back off on the demand for a can of formula or suddenly decide that your baby doesn't need more food, after all.

Baby has always been skinny (but very tall)- 25th percentile for weight, around 90th percentile for height. I think they are comparing her with formula fed babies- evidently much bigger than my daughter. She is the only baby who is exclusively on breastmilk, so her tiny bottles are an anomaly to them. I did not think much of the daycare's comment, but thanks to you ladies, I see how inappropriate it was. I love seeing my baby, the daycare rules allow every parent to go in without any prior notice. My baby was nursing, and getting to see her mother. Thanks for knocking sense into me!

In response to llli.maribelcarrero, I do not use pace feeding. She is exclusively breastfed when I am around, no bottles after she gets home or during weekends. Regarding the daycare, I can guarantee that they are not doing pace feeding. They are used to filling a bottle with 8oz formula and making the babies drink it. I lost my cool with my baby's nanny this morning when she pushed formula again! She asked me to introduce formula at home. I told her my baby does not like it, and nor does she get any bottles at home. She proceeded to tell me that I should not let the baby decide, and this is where I lost my cool. I told her it is my decision, the baby is doing great, she will NOT get any formula, and I am fine with it. She then asked me to give her cow's milk. At this point, seeing how angry I was, the daycare owner stepped in and told me they will do as I say. I gave them 3 bottles of 3 oz each and asked them to feed her at appropriate intervals. I also told them I am resuming my nursing during lunch, and they obliged. Hopefully, this will set them straight.

I can't believe they were so pushy and even said to offer cows milk!! And told you to use formula at home! They must have very little experience with EBF babies! Sorry you had to deal with that.

Wow, that is wild. I worked in daycare years ago and we NEVER would have dreamed in a thousand years to tell a mother what to feed her child at home! Home was home and 100% not our business. Good for you for standing your ground.

People can get set in their routines and methods and think their way is the only way. You are teaching these caregivers something important - that there is another way. I hope they can open their minds to take it in.