Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! I have 48hrs to get my baby to start gaining weight

Default Re: Help! I have 48hrs to get my baby to start gaining weigh

How is it going?

I am taking a gander at those weight checks and wow, they are wonky. I have never heard of a baby gaining weight between birth weight and day two- this period is usually when baby loses the most weight...And all the fluctuations up and down are very odd. I just do not get it.

Overall, baby at day 12 was the same weight as birth weight. If only a birth weight and a day 12 weight were taken, showing the exact same weight as they do, that would be considered normal. Because babies usually lose weight for first few days and then begin to gain, typically regaining back to birth weight at some point between 1 and 2 weeks- and some healthy and normally gaining babies take a little longer than that to gain back up to birthweight.
    Not sure what this means or if it is relevant, but I just wanted to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    How is it going?

I am taking a gander at those weight checks and wow, they are wonky. I have never heard of a baby gaining weight between birth weight and day two- this period is usually when baby loses the most weight...And all the fluctuations up and down are very odd. I just do not get it.

Overall, baby at day 12 was the same weight as birth weight. If only a birth weight and a day 12 weight were taken, showing the exact same weight as they do, that would be considered normal. Because babies usually lose weight for first few days and then begin to gain, typically regaining back to birth weight at some point between 1 and 2 weeks- and some healthy and normally gaining babies take a little longer than that to gain back up to birthweight.
    Not sure what this means or if it is relevant, but I just wanted to point that out.
    Oh no the birth weight was 3520g he's still way below birth weight (he lost about 10% and is still about 10% below). Birth weight wasn't recorded in the red book so I didn't think to include it. The 10th is day 3.

As for how it's going, I tried the new pump today and was disappointed that I only got about 10ml out of it in over 15min. Yesterday a couple of minutes of hand expressing got me 10ml. I had just had the baby on the breast before but I don't know if that effected it. Even after nothing more came out into the pump I could hand express more. It seems like it only manages to get stuff out during letdown and then nada. I am hopeful it increases over time though.

A breastfeeding advisor who we saw at an outpatient clinic phoned today, she doesn't like the "give him formula till he is stuffed" advice, she thinks we'd be better off replacing two feeds with entirely formula and pumping during that time and the rest of the time trying to keep the baby on the breast - the fact he has stayed relatively stable in weight taken overall suggests she thinks that that would be enough.

My husband is getting very frustrated with formula feeding, the baby cries to be fed but he spits most of it out and then a lot more comes out as he vomits it up during the day. We have no idea how long we're going to have to do it and how much we should invest in equipment. He's hungry, but he seems overfull too...
    Last edited by @llli*saw30; July 22nd, 2016 at 01:27 PM.

I am sorry I did not understand the weights correctly.

this all must be very frustrating-

It is normal for 2 week old babies to be hungry and want to nurse/eat most of the time.

Spitting up is usually normal but if you think the formula is the cause, I wonder how much baby is getting at once? In my experience with breastfed babies, they spit up more if they got more than they could handle all at once. Baby's tummy is the size of his fist, so that is why babies must eat frequent small meals.

Can you see the LC again and bring your pump? I wonder if the flange is sized correctly. When you pump, does your nipple move freely in and out of the tunnel? Or does it rub? That might indicate flange is too small. Conversely, does your areola get pulled in along with the nipple or is there a lack of a seal? That may indicate flange is too large. Too large flange in particular is not going to work correctly in extracting milk, but a too small one might hurt or injure you or cause you to not be able to pump at a high enough setting because it hurts.

I am pretty sure it's too large. My nipples are fairly small (and my areolas are huge!). Areola ends up in the tube definitely. Like half of what's in the tube is nipple and half areola.

I was hoping it wouldn't make much difference because it's even more money for the alternative flanges but I guess I have to get them.

Check on pump manufacturer website or customer service (or an IBCLC, best) but yes, that sounds like they may be too large. Here is a graphic on flange size from Ameda (one pump company) http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...ted/flange-fit

How many sizes came in your kit? Just one?!? They used to come with two I thought...I mean, moms come in all different sizes- Some moms even need different size flange on each breast!

Look a flange can be cleaned pretty darn well, it can even be boiled and thus sterilized if I am not mistaken. If a new set of flanges is a financial hardship, I wonder if you can find used ones free or cheap...

So an update, they came and weighed him again today and he had gained about 160g in the past two (formula stuffing) days reaching 3340g. We discussed the ideas that the breastfeeding woman from the hospital said (2 full formula feeds, pump during them, breastfeed the rest of the time) and they said its ok to try it and we'll reweigh in two days.

Since the midwife left I've been mostly keeping my son on my breast (we took a car ride to the shops when he was in his car seat but that was basically it). When he comes off he wails so pathetically and I am suddenly very unsure of myself and this idea. I feel like he is starving, I clearly can't satisfy him at all, my heart bleeds for my little boy. One part of me hopes he'll still gain, but he seems so hungry I am very pessimistic.

I don't know what to do, I really want to keep breastfeeding but I don't want him to suffer or starve. When I was showing "look there is milk in there" I actually squirted it accidentally on the midwife (it tended to drip before) so I felt like, hey maybe it *is* getting better, now I am not so sure.
    Last edited by @llli*saw30; July 23rd, 2016 at 01:53 PM.

Baby is what- about 2 or three weeks old now? That is the age a baby typically kind of "wakes up" and starts nursing like mad, wants to nurse all the time, and cries if they are taken off the breast. I do not know what is going on with your child's milk intake, but I am just saying, what you are describing would describe many babies at this age, even those gaining very rapidly It does NOT mean your child is suffering.

Let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that you never make enough milk, and baby continues to need supplements as a result. There is great value to breastfeeding no matter how much baby gets 'exclusively' at the breast. As long as baby is supplemented if and as needed, breastfeeding can continue with no harm, no suffering, and no starving, and only with benefit to your child.

A good book that addresses the situation you are facing is Making More Milk. Yes it addresses in detail milk production issues, why they happen and what to do about it, but it also includes much insight, real world coping suggestions, (how to nurse, supplement and pump without losing what is left of your mind, etc.) and encouragement for the mother who is facing the difficult situation of a baby who is not gaining normally at the breast. I strongly recommended it.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 23rd, 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Hey again, and thanks for the recommendation and advice.

Having had some sleep (sooooo much easier when I don't have to make a bottle every feed!) I feel a bit more confident again. The crying earlier was at it's height in the late afternoon/evening which I think is actually not so abnormal. Hoping that he will be more alert and also get some daytime sleep tomorrow.

One thing that I think has played a part in all this is how well he sleeps at night. I read before he came that babies are born with reversed night/day cycles. My little boy has not been like that at all since he was born, he has consistently slept really well at night and been more awake and alert in the day. It's been hard to wake him for night feeds from the start. Tonight I did manage to wake him to feed at 11 and he came off on his own accord from the second breast after 20 min looking pretty satisfied in his sleep. I feel better seeing that - and sleeping myself, although I actually can't sleep now.

It's been such a crazy week worrying about his weight. The first few days of his life I was still kind of processing the trauma of giving birth (I had 2 nights and 3 days of back to back labour followed by a 20 minute pushing stage one hour after the hospital told me to try staying home a bit longer because it sounds like latent phase, then because he came out really fast and sunny side up I had lots of tears which led to the blood loss I had, after he was born there were no beds on the maternity ward so I stayed in the delivery room for about 12hrs before being transferred and he was out of reach of me for hours and hours and I was too weak to get up and no-one came to see me for ages and I didn't have the wherewithal to press the call button to get them to bring him closer for ages either although eventually I did, but even then I was too weak to pick him up on my own).

This has been such a crazy ride so far, it's only just now I've really been able to breathe and process whats even going on.

Heh and he just woke up, seems calm and alert.

I am hoping you are perhaps turning a corner. Hang in there, I know it is so hard. I was a madwoman the first 4 weeks or so of my oldest baby's life. Getting those little stretches of sleep can be tremendously helpful!

The rest of the day wasn't great, even after the formula (120mls in one case!) he still acted like he was starving. I have no clue how he could be, he must have been stuffed!

But I did start to question something. Everyone had said "well he's not tongue tied" at the hospital in the first couple of days when I had scabby nipples and I took that for granted, but I read sometimes its not so obvious. One thing that makes me wonder is he has a tiny fork in his tongue. It's just a small one, but it makes me wonder. I am going to ask the midwife if someone can check it more carefully tomorrow anyway. I really feel like he doesn't suck as well as he could even though he latches ok now.