Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help! I have 48hrs to get my baby to start gaining weight

Default Re: Help! I have 48hrs to get my baby to start gaining weigh

In the last three weeks he gained 120g, 200g and today 80g.
    I was hoping that this last time he'd be gaining closer to 200g again in which case we'd have been given permission to wean off formula. Instead he's being weighed again in 48hrs and if his gain is still weak he will have to have more formula (currently getting about half his needs from formula). I feel like we're headed quickly toward exclusive formula feeding and I am so disappointed. I thought he was doing well.
    Saturday and Sunday he had 3 poos both days (normally goes days between poos). He has also been unsettled (he was constipated before he had the poos) and not finishing feeds (maybe bloated from the constipation?) We stopped giving him infant gaviscon and his poo became soft again. I am hoping that his paltry weight gain could be related to that and he'll show a good gain these next two days, but I feel sad and pessimistic about it.

Try to keep in mind that when you zoom in very close on a baby's weight gain, you start to see a lot of day-to-day fluctuation which makes it hard to derive useful information about broader trends. Some days a baby may gain twice the normal amount, some days he may not gain at all- and this is why we generally weigh babies only every month or so. A month's worth of faster-than-average gain and slower-than-average gain gets mushed together and you are left with an average that really tells you something. Right?

Hang in there, you are doing an amazing job and even if you are headed toward 100% formula, that is okay. What is important is that you are and have been doing your best!

Well I thought I'd come in with an update, and a question or two.

I never managed to make much more milk (maybe a bit hard to say). My son will be 5 months in 2 days. He is doing well, drinking lots of formula via an SNS. Any breastmilk he is getting is a very small amount. I am still sad about it but kind of in a groove.

For a while I rationalised that I just "regulated" before the tongue tie was cut and that's why I never made much milk. Last couple of days I was thinking maybe I'd try renting the pump again and see if now, when things are more relaxed than in those early weeks and me and the baby are getting lots of sleep if I can't get some more milk going.

But while I was googling around about that I thought about the thing I dread - IGT...

I always had weird shaped breasts, really big areolae, small flattish nipples, nipples point downward and slightly inward, breasts have always been extremely droopy even as a teenager - dad called them "orange in a sock" breasts :/ There's not a big gap between them, like I wouldn't say 1.5inches at all, they mostly seem to begin at the same point of the chest, but they are quite "flat" in the sense that at the base they're not very dense at all, feel very soft. They've always been big, but also weird like I described. I never thought I had hormonal problems, my periods have always been insanely regular and pretty much textbook in length (give or take one or two days), but the boobs, they're suspicious.

What does it mean? How do I find out? Will things be the same with all my future children? Is the pump idea pointless this late in the game, or given the boobs? I don't think I could really face the possibility till now that my breasts were the issue, I feel like I'm not really a proper woman or something because I can't feed a baby

Hi! So glad to hear that you and baby have found a groove, baby is doing well, and you are still nursing your baby!

Here is the thing about IGT.
    Some moms with IGT-like breasts have entirely normal milk production
    Some moms with normal looking/feeling breasts do not make milk or much milk
    IGT varies in the severity with which it harms milk production.
    Moms with IGT with low milk production can often optimize their milk production using the many techniques for increasing low milk production. This does not mean they will be able to have normal milk production if the IGT is severe, but it does mean that using those same protocols and galactagogues may result in making more milk.
    In the same vein, non-optimal breastfeeding management (basically, non-optimal milk removal) is going to be harmful to milk production in any situation, and this will of course be more pronounced in a mom who has some other issue possibly harming her milk production. So yes, a situation of tongue tie and many of the other practices or circumstances that tend to adversely effect milk production are likely to make the situation of IGT more problematic and in that case, the experience with each baby may be different.
    IGT may or may not be accompanied or caused by hormonal issues that also reduce milk production. Sometimes the hormonal issues can be addressed to help mom produce more milk. Even if you have no fertility issues it may make sense to check your hormone levels.
    Some moms with or without IGT find they make more milk with subsequent children especially if they nursed/pumped for the older child.

So it is simply not as simple as "Mom has IGT, so she will never make enough milk for her children." This may be so, and it may not. An IBCLC may be able to diagnose IGT, but that does not mean she can accurately predict your milk production or lack thereof.

So I also would not say the pumping idea is pointless. Whether or not it helps you make more milk is simply not knowable.

The book Making More Milk addresses this issue. It also may make sense to see an IBCLC who is experienced in low production issues in particular.

I have known several mothers who used a lactation aid in order to nurse several children because for one reason or another they did not ever make enough milk. There are many benefits to nursing a child at the breast that are not related to what baby eats.

OF course many wonderful mothers who are very fully women do not breastfeed at all. Breasts do not make us better women and breastfeeding does not make us better mothers.

with MaddieB.

I just want to point out that we ALL have "weird shaped" breasts. There's no one right way for human breasts to be. Every degree of size, shape, firmness, perkiness, droopiness, asymmetry, color, hair, nipple shape, and areola size is normal.

We live in a culture which is constantly policing women's appearance, from the way we dress to the way our individual body parts look. If you look at the media- Hollywood, ads, fashion magazines- you would think that there is really only one type of breast: big (but not "too big"!), perky, with a nipple that is everted but somehow never shows through clothing. Not only do we have an unrealistic attitude towards form, but we also towards function. Breast are supposed to be jiggly and sexy when we're in a sexy situation immobile and unnoticeable when we run or in the workplace, and they are supposed to produce abundant milk for our babies but still remain available to fill our partners' sexual desires, and then they must return to their pre-pregnancy shape as soon as we're done nursing.

No. Just no. Don't let society's bullsh*t invade your head. Love your breasts for what they are. You are just as proper a woman as any other!!!