Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poor nursing

Default Poor nursing

My sweet daughter does not seem to be breasfeeding as well as she has been today. She is not able to feed as long and I worried that something is wrong. We visited with the lactation consultant yesterday and she had gained back almost 4 ounces in two days, so has been doing quite well on the breast milk. Her diaper output has been okay so far today, but I am worried that she is not getting enough. I have been feeding her on demand, do you think that there is anything to be worried about.

:0
    Meredith

Default Re: Poor nursing

How old is your baby?
    Does she have a fever or seem stuffed up or anything?

If it's just today, I wouldn't worry, but if it continues, then it may be a problem.

Did you work on your latch when you saw the lc? It is possible that she isn't feeding as long because she is being more effecient.

I agree with the PP that your LO may be getting more effecient at nursing. Also, from what I have read on this forum, it is not uncommon for your LO to have days where she will nurse a lot more or a lot less. Just watch the diaper output. You are doing a great job!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk