Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Encouragement

Unhappy Need Encouragement

I just came back to work last week Thursday. Right now I am feeding my son (who is 3 months old) before I leave around 6-730am. I am pumping twice a day. In the morning at 10-1030am and then around 2:30pm-3pm. It gives me four bottles of 3-5 oz each. But I'm feeling kind of stressed. My boss has told me that I need to swipe out (because I can't do it on company time) and thinking about making up that time I'm pumping has me feeling stressed. I don't want to stop breastfeeding. But I'm only A week in of pumping at work and feeling discouraged. Tips, good vibes and kind words needed.

*I've already got a stock pile at home in the freezer. So whatever I pump at work adds on to that.

Default Re: Need Encouragement

Hi Christina. A lactating mom needs to pump at work for 3 reasons, each very important.
    One is to provide milk for baby. This is quite possibly the only reason your employer knows about or understands. But it is not the only reason.
    Another is so that the mother's milk production is not reduced by infrequent milk removal. If a mom cannot pump often enough, eventually, in many cases, her body will stop making enough milk even for when she is at home with her baby.
    And last but certainly not least, when a mother is lactating, milk MUST be removed from her breasts with enough frequency and effectiveness to prevent the milk from sitting in the breasts to the point that mom gets engorged or develops plugged ducts, or gets ill from mastitis, an illness that would almost certainly lead to at least a day or two of you being out sick.

If you are pumping only twice a work day and getting 12-20 ounces each day, that is actually a very, very high amount to be pumping. So in that case, that makes me most concerned that you may not be pumping often enough to avoid engorgement, plugs and mastitis. Are you ever getting uncomfortably full between pump sessions?

As far as being told to swipe out, in Illinois (and in most states) this is legal. Laws that protect a mother's right to a pumping space and pump time usually state that the employer does not need to pay the mom for that time.

So maybe your best bet would be to think about ways to streamline your pump routine to make it as quick as possible? There are many tips and ideas in the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition.) Kellymom.com probably has some god tips to.

I would also suggest, if you cannot figure out a third time to pump, learn to hand express. That way, if you start feeling full at work between pump sessions, you can go to the restroom and quickly hand express into a cloth. This would both relive pressure and be helpful for your ongoing milk production. Since you pump so much milk, there is no worries at this point if some is "lost" this way. It is more important that the milk come out of the breasts and not cause problems, than that every drop is saved.

I am not sure what you mean about making up the time. Is this required by your employer, or are you not able to absorb the money lost to unpaid breaktime?

For overall success in continuing to breastfeed after returning to work, pumping is only one factor. The others are being sure that baby is being fed as a breastfed baby should, and not overfed by their caregiver(s) and also, that baby is encouraged to nurse with good frequency when you and baby can be together. Those things can help protect the breastfeeding relationship when the pump/work situation is not ideal.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 1st, 2016 at 11:09 PM.

with the PP.

Some ideas for streamlining pumping time:
    - If you are a car commuter, pump during your commute using a hands-free pumping bra and car adapter.
    - Find a way to pump close to your desk. A lot of moms end up wasting 10 minutes walking back and forth to some designated pumping room.
    - Instead of washing your pump parts every time you use them, put them in a ziploc bag and then into the fridge. You can safely wash them every other time they are used.
    - If you are storing your milk in a distant fridge- which means more walking time for you- bring a little cooler with ice in it and store your milk under your desk.

Thank you. That is all very helpful info. I try not to wait when I am engorged. I am trying to pump every 2-3 hours. I will check out that book and website.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP.

Some ideas for streamlining pumping time:
    - If you are a car commuter, pump during your commute using a hands-free pumping bra and car adapter.
    - Find a way to pump close to your desk. A lot of moms end up wasting 10 minutes walking back and forth to some designated pumping room.
    - Instead of washing your pump parts every time you use them, put them in a ziploc bag and then into the fridge. You can safely wash them every other time they are used.
    - If you are storing your milk in a distant fridge- which means more walking time for you- bring a little cooler with ice in it and store your milk under your desk.
    Thank you for that. I tried some of those tips today

Awesome! How did it work out?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Awesome! How did it work out?
    Its working out a little better. I am trying to just stay positive. Also my cousin sent me some info on how to increase my supply. <3