Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Over-active Let down, Flat Nipples, and or Tongue Tie Help

Default Over-active Let down, Flat Nipples, and or Tongue Tie Help

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping someone can offer me some help and reassurance. My sweet girl is 7 weeks old and we are still struggling to breastfed. She was doing great eating the first 4 weeks (although I did have some cracked nipples). She would eat on each side 5-10 minutes. Then we got mastitis, which led to thrush and everything went down hill from there. When she got thrush, she started fussing at the breast so I offered her a bottle. She started only spending about 5 minutes on each breast. Then at 5.5 weeks she started popping on and off the breast and pushing away, so I had to offer her bottles more frequently. I think she was coming on and off and refusing to nurse because I have an over-active letdown. I see milk squirting out when she pops off. I tried the laid back position but she still comes off and after going on and off a few times she gets frustrated and refuses to continue. Now at 7 weeks, she will only nurse until the letdown or after a pump but she gets mad when the milk is too slow as well. So she is currently only nursing a few times a day for a few minutes. The LC I met with a few times mentioned she has a stretchy posterior tongue tie, but wasn't sure that was the problem. Now I'm stuck pumping and almost battling her to take the breast. How do I get back to BF full time?! Would an over-active letdown start at 4 weeks- because she seemed to be fine with the flow then? Can I get her off bottles and to stay latched? Is the tongue tie part of the problem? Please help, I desperately want to nurse and can't continue to pump with a crazy toddler to take care of as well.

Default Re: Over-active Let down, Flat Nipples, and or Tongue Tie He

Welcome to the forum!

I think the way you get your baby back to the breast is to take a deep breath and either take the bottles away or reduce them as much as possible. The way I see it, bottles started out looking like the solution to the baby being fussy and maybe not nursing enough, and have now become contributors to that problem. I know it means that baby may act even more fussy than before- she wants to get fed and clearly she has developed some strong preferences about the way her meals are delivered. But I think what you do in this situation is to power through. You nurse the baby and if she comes off the breast and and refuses to nurse any more, you let her do that. You let her fuss, you find other ways to comfort her- rock her, take her for a walk, give her a quick bath. My guess is that after a while, she will get hungry again and decide that nursing is better than starving. Of course we don't want to starve her for real, but allowing some fussing in order to gain more nursing sessions sounds like the way to go- to me, at least!