Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much solids at daycare

Default Too much solids at daycare

DS is almost 8 months old. I work 7hrs a day and pump milk for him to send to daycare. I nurse him before drop-off, at 8am, and again when I get home at 4:30pm. During the day he has 2x4oz bottles, some veggies+meat for lunch and some fruit in the afternoon. We did try with 2x2oz and 1x4oz bottles but he seemed more content with the 2 larger bottles. During the week he gets no solids at home and I generally don't offer much at weekends, maybe a little at lunchtime only. He is EBF and nurses on demand day and night.

So, the problem, this week I have struggled a LOT to pump the 8oz milk at work. I never had this problem before and could easily pump in excess of what I needed. The last 2 days I didn't manage it and had to pump at home in the evening. Yesterday I asked at daycare if anything had changed and they have now started offering him fruit for morning snack also, which I am told he loves. Has this affected my supply??

I am very happy with this daycare. The carers are lovely, it is clean, safe and not overcrowded, and I can clearly see that DS really likes it. They did ask for an extra 4oz bottle a few weeks ago which I said was not needed, given that he is only there for 7 hours and eats solids. So this is the reason they have increased the solid food as they believed he was hungry. What should I do? Reduce the milk I send, pump more, tell them to cut out the morning snack? He is the only child there drinking breast milk and maybe all the others eat/drink a lot more. I feel under a lot of pressure to get more food (milk or solids) into him. I was thinking of sending 2x3.5oz bottles next week and maybe then reducing to 2x3oz, but would this just mean that he will increase his solids intake?

Default Re: Too much solids at daycare

Yesterday I asked at daycare if anything had changed and they have now started offering him fruit for morning snack also, which I am told he loves. Has this affected my supply??
    Do you notice baby nursing less often since this started?

My guess would be that it is more likely that your pump output, not your production, is decreasing, due to either the pump needing some troubleshooting or just because you are hitting the dreaded 'pump slump."

one more 'meal" of solids is not likely to impact milk production but it depends on what we mean by a "meal." Some of those baby food jars are enormous. How much fruit are we talking? Is it in a puree? (so contains lots of water as well) etc.

I do not think it is appropriate to send less milk. If baby was older and eating lots and lots of solids that would be one thing, but for a 7-8 year old, 8 ounces seems perfectly reasonable for a 7 hour separation. Of course if you just do not have that much to send, you will need to decide whether to pump more often, consider formula, or yes send less milk which may mean you have to ask them to increase solids.

I feel under a lot of pressure to get more food (milk or solids) into him.
    From who and why? If you mean just from the daycare, I would suggest, do not let them pressure you. On the other hand, I do not think that 3 "meals" a day plus 8 ounces for an 8 month old is unreasonable- again, it depends what they mean by "meals"-it may help to know- how much exactly is baby being offered? Is baby given a bowl of food and allowed to eat with hands, or spoon fed? Is eating more self directed (this can be done even if baby is spoon fed, but it takes time and patience and caregiver "communicating" with baby) or is baby "encouraged" to eat (caregiver spoons it in) until a whole jar or plate is done? is lots going on the floor? etc.

DS is nursing with the same frequency, except right after daycare. Previously, he would be extremely eager and excited to nurse right after I collect him. Now he will nurse for a couple of minutes if I offer, and if I don't offer he is perfectly happy to wait an hour or more. I have only been pumping for 2 months, would I hit a slump so soon??

I'm not sure on the exact quantity of solids he is taking. I do my best, but the communication is not ideal with the carers because I am not fluent in the local language. He eats puree and is spoon fed. He doesn't get huge quantities of fruit I believe but his lunch (veggies+meat/fish) is up to 120g. They tell me he loves to eat and is eating better (more?) than babies who are 9-10 months old. Rewinding to 1 month ago, when he was home with MIL, he was only taking 3-4oz milk and a couple of tablespoons of solids, although I was going home to nurse him at lunch time. The increase in quantity of food/milk seems insane! Also, he sleeps for 3 hours (1hr & 2hr naps) so he is only awake for 4 hours, and it seems a lot to me that he would need 8oz milk and 3 solids meals during 4 hours awake. He must be eating constantly!

I feel pressure from all directions regarding solids. Pediatrician, daycare, MIL, DH. I keep saying that milk is fine for him until 1 year but I think people think I am trying to avoid giving solids and maybe it is selfish of me to favour milk over solid food. It hasn't been said openly, but I think MIL thinks I am nursing frequently for my benefit and not DS. The guidelines for introducing solids here would have him on a mainly solid diet by now. I just smile and nod at the ped when discussing solids.

It has been very hot here recently, could the decrease in pump output be from me not drinking enough fluids? Should I give DS a sippy cup with water?

Also could I ask a question about baby-led solids? How soft should the foods be, for example, I gave green beans and he was coughing a lot after eating one. I'm very nervous he will choke. What about offering some bread/toast fingers, should I worry about the salt content of bread? Any other suggestions on good foods to try? If I give spaghetti, should I give it plain and without tomato sauce (which contains salt, sugar, garlic, onion, etc...)

I'm getting more confused by what is happening as the days pass
    I have troubleshooted my pump, replaced valves and membranes. I get a letdown but after the initial flow of milk it tapers off and I only get drops. But if I use breast compressions then I can get more milk, I seem to get less than 1oz without compressions, is this normal??
    Yesterday, I pumped almost 6oz in my first session, but then today could barely get 3oz. Without breast compressions I think I would have gotten practically nothing! Which makes me feel even stronger that it is related to the daycare. At the weekend DS ate very little solids, only a few spoons, and nursed a LOT. So it makes sense that yesterday I had lots of milk, but then today.....I don't know what to do, the stress is getting me down! When I am not pumping, I am worried about pumping and it is distracting me from my work.

Hello
    i am new here.
    I am very happy with this daycare. The carers are lovely, it is clean, safe and not overcrowded, and I can clearly see that DS really likes it. They did ask for an extra 4oz bottle a few weeks ago which I said was not needed, given that he is only there for 7 hours and eats solids. So this is the reason they have increased the solid food as they believed he was hungry. What should I do? Reduce the milk I send, pump more, tell them to cut out the morning snack? He is the only child there drinking breast milk and maybe all the others eat/drink a lot more. I feel under a lot of pressure to get more food (milk or solids) into him. I was thinking of sending 2x3.5oz bottles next week and maybe then reducing to 2x3oz, but would this just mean that he will increase his solids intake?
    best regards
    angellily

Angellily, how old is your baby and how much breastmilk is baby getting each day? Also please confirm time at day care is 7 hours. Is baby typically nursed right before and right after those 7 hours, or is there more time, such as commute time, baby is not nursing?
    Is your child's growth normal as far as you know?
    How many times a day does baby nurse? Is baby taking a longer sleep stretch overnight with no nursing, and if so, about how long is that?
    When you say baby is getting too much solids, what do you mean exactly?
    Do you think that the amount of solids baby is getting is causing baby to nurse less when home with you? Is your concern about baby not getting enough breastmilk, baby losing interest in nursing, or losing your milk production?