Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can someone invent a machine that regulates a perfect amount

Default Can someone invent a machine that regulates a perfect amount

When i was in the hospital i pumped too much and had oversupply. After 4 weeks my milk took a drop and i was able to build my supply back up to regulate. My LO was too slow and was not eating as much as he needed. So I pumped to have oversupply and he transferred better but had worse gas and reflux due to the extra supply. I've gone up and down with my supply and its the same story. Unless my supply is this perfect little bit of oversupply, breastfeeding does not go well. What should I do? He is now 10 weeks. When he gets bigger and stronger will he be able to be more efficient if i regulate?

Backstory I had him checked for tongue tie by an ENT at 6 weeks and he said he has normal anatomy just a slight tongue tie but thought because he was so old that clipping it might not change anything because we've established a bad habit. I don't want to clip it because if it didn't fix the problem I would feel awful that we did it for no reason.
    Last edited by @llli*jacqueline123; June 16th, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

Default Re: Can someone invent a machine that regulates a perfect am

Hi I would suggest read up more on tongue tie clipping. The idea that it is unnecessary past a certain point is simply false. Older children and adults have frenectomies.
    I also think that you're getting advice about breast-feeding from someone who is not trained with breast-feeding issues. A tongue-tied baby has not developed a bad habit they are nursing the only way they can with the limited tongue movement. Once your baby had better tongue movement it would possibly improve breast-feeding. And yes it is possible that some suck training or other body work would be needed to go along with the clip before things improved.
    I am not in anyway saying that a frenectomy is the answer or necessary or will help in your baby's case. I am just saying that I think the ENT is possibly not as versed in the specific area of breast-feeding and tongue tie as perhaps a lactation consultant with experience with tongue tie would be.

I'm trying to understand what the issue actually is. Does baby gain poorly when your milk supply is high, or low? Is breast-feeding painful to you in either case? Gassiness and fussiness and spit up are kind of part of being a baby. I'm not saying they don't sometimes indicate an issue I'm just saying that often they are thought to be an issue themselves when in fact they are simply normal.

However if it is truly a fact that you need to have overproduction in order for your baby to get enough milk -and yes I do think this sometimes is the case if a child is unable to transfer milk well- I'm not clear why that would be causing your baby to be gassy or fussy. When I mom has OP what is happening is her baby is getting more milk than the baby actually needs. And that is what causes those symptoms in some but not all babies. If having OP means your baby is only getting enough milk I'm not sure why it would cause all these problems.
    If you think the issue is that when you have OP your baby is getting lots of higher lactose milk, (also known as foremilk) then I would suggest trying things that reduces the amount of foremilk baby gets. That would be nursing frequently and nursing one-side at a time (assuming baby is OK with one-sided nursing and is getting enough to eat that way). Nursing in a leaning back position with baby kind of on top of you may also help. If Baby prefers both sides at each feeding, keep baby on the first side as long as possible before switching.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 16th, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

My LO also has a latch issue. In the beginning his latch was small/tight/painful and he would get air through. Now he latches better but sometimes reverts to the small latch.The Dr said that the clipping might not fix the latch and that there was a 60% chance that his latch would NOT improve with the clipping.

The baby transfers but not very well when i have a regulated supply. He still gains weight because I have a scale and make sure he is getting the oz he needs by relatching him or bottle. He is sleepy on the breast.

When my milk supply was too high he was transferring very quickly but constantly unlatching possibly due to the milk being too fast and he was gulping it down quickly causing extra gas and throwing up.

Am I naive to think that things will get better with time?

You are not naive to think that things will get better with time. Time = growth. A bigger baby with a bigger mouth and stronger sucking ability = a deeper, better latch in most cases.

Do you think in this scenario there might be a noticable improvement around the 3 month age or just slowly over time?

Im not sure if the issues we're having is mostly because of a normal anatomy, small tongue tie or a flow preference. Any thoughts?

(Im not asking for medical advice just wondering from experience if this situation is common in babies without a tongue tie)
    Last edited by @llli*jacqueline123; June 16th, 2016 at 04:46 PM.

Well that is a fascinating statistic. So the doctor thinks there is a 40% chance that a clip would improve latch? That seems like pretty good odds to me, as there is little to no drawback to having a clip done by a competent practitioner who knows what they are doing.

I cannot answer the questions you have, no one could make such predictions. but I will say there is something very odd going on when a baby cannot control intake better at age 10 weeks to the point where normal production means baby cannot gain and OP means baby is taking in too much at once. I again suggest seeing an IBCLC.