Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excl Pumper trying to excl breastfeed but overproducing

Default Excl Pumper trying to excl breastfeed but overproducing

So if something was already posted similar to this question, please by all means let me know.

I was unable to get my daughter to latch initially after birth (turns out she had a tongue tie that has since been taken care of) and in the process she got used to breastmilk from the bottle. I would try latching her a few times a week and just recently, she finally seems to get it (She's now 14 weeks). I am beyond ecstatic that she is latching and finally now without a shield.

The problem is, since I was exclusively pumping, I now have a super overabundance of milk. I literally produce between 10 and 16 ounces at each pump. With this, I'm pretty sure she never gets hindmilk and in return comes back to feed much more frequently and I am never fully empty and end up having to pump between feedings because one breast never gets emptied.

Anyone have any advice on reducing production in the transition? I'm just really confused at how I can reduce my production without getting another bout of mastitis...? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Excl Pumper trying to excl breastfeed but overproducing

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the baby and on getting her to the breast! What an awesome achievement!

I would not worry for one more moment about your baby "not getting the hindmilk". There's actually no such thing as either hindmilk or foremilk- they are simply convenient, confusing terms for the end members of the continuous milk composition spectrum. What I mean is, all milk contains everything your baby needs to grow and develop- all the fat, protein, micronutrients, calories, etc. If your baby drank nothing but the so-called "foremilk", she would still be prefectly healthy, provided she got enough of it. What ,alters, when it comes to a baby's growth and development, is the quantity of milk (number of oz per day), not the quality ("foremilk" vs. "hindmilk").

Foremilk and hindmilk also have nothing to do with feeding frequency. A lot of moms are astonished by how frequently their babies want/need to nurse, especially if they got used to the feeding patterns of a bottlefed baby. Breastfed babies come to the breast for food and comfort, and they rarely want to be in mom's arms without taking the opportunity to nurse. Frequent feeding is also a great way for a baby to deal with issues stemming from overproduction. Frequent nursing keeps the breast from becoming overly full, and that means the breast delivers a more comfortable milk flow for the baby.

The way to reduce milk production is to leave milk in the breast. Eventually, your body will "read" the difference between what you are making and what the baby takes when she nurses, and throttle back on production. So nurse the baby as much as she wants, even if that means she is nursing more often than you think she should. And if you feel full in between feedings, try not to go running for the pump. Put up with the fullness, or if that is not possible, hand-express or pump the minimum amount of milk necessary to restore comfort. Leave milk in the breast and eventually your body should get the message that it doesn't need to be producing enough for triplets.

Can your tell us more about your experience with mastitis?

Default Re: Excl Pumper trying to excl breastfeed but overproducing

Thank you so much for your encouragement and insight!
    As for the mastitis, I tried so much at the beginning before her tongue tie was fixed (and I also took her to a massage therapist for "body work" and now her tongue is like a genius ;-) lol). I had cracked/painful nipples and because I was pumping when she wouldn't latch, my supply started getting larger and larger. Eventually one night (she was 2 weeks old at this point), I pumped and was in pure misery, noticing after I couldn't even brush my shirt against it, it began to get red, and I had terrible flu-like symptoms - the chills stood out the most at that point. I called my OB the next day, they got me into the NP - she unfortunately prescribed me Keflex and told me to pump less which I learned later were both very wrong. So, by the next morning I actually felt a little better and went about my day with my daughter. By that afternoon I was again in terrible pain, got the chills, same story - gave it another day thinking I needed 48 hours of meds. No - came back with avengeance - luckily one of my best friends is an OB - sent her a pic of my breast and she said I needed to call in as it was a Friday before the pharmacy closed - the oncall prescribed me what I now know is the correct ABX - dicloxacylin (I think that's how you spell it). I got it filled and started taking it immediately; however, by this point the infection now was in my other breast as well. Again, I gave it 48 hours or so before I gave up on it. That Monday I called my husband home when I was shaking so bad with a 103.5 fever and couldn't steady my hand to feed my daughter the bottle of my breastmilk and with a terrible migraine. They got me in to the Dr right away - my OB commented - "you just look sick" and sent me to the hospital. Luckily it was w/in 6 weeks of delivery so I was w/in post partum care still (admitted to L/D unit at the hosp). I need IV vancomyacin for 24 hours (they initially tried to send me home from triage w/ another dose of a different oral but decided my heart rate was too high and admitted me). I got the 24 hour IV and went home on Clindamycin. Luckily, after that, I was paranoid about pumping religiously and the ABX took care of the infection. The aftermath of the ABX on my daughter's stomach, though was terrible - lots of diarrhea and then after she became somewhat constipated. I visited a LC, we made some changes, namely a probiotic, paced feedings, and a rigorous pumping schedule, and finally here we are.
    Whew, that was long, sorry!