Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After weaning

Default After weaning

So, my baby will soon be 1 and I intend to nurse in the morning and before bed. So, what do I replace my milk with? I don't want to do cow's milk- my family is lactose intolerant and people were never made to drink cows milk anyway. Also, my baby is allergic to rice, so rice milk is out. Can I do almond milk? Do I just switch to water? Should I go buy a carton of goat's milk?? Everyone I talk to says to buy lactaid milk, of rather not. I know you're supposed to nurse til baby is 2 but work isn't required to allow me pumping breaks past 1 year, baby bites a lot, and I'm ready to be done soon. At least, mostly. I'll still be nursing a little here and there.

Default Re: After weaning

You have lots of options!

You could skip dairy altogether and offer your child carefully chosen, fat and calcium-rich solids. If you were to take this approach, you'd want to consult your pediatrician and maybe a nutritionist as well, since it's not easy to get the right balance of nutrients if you can't use dairy. Possible, just not easy.

You could offer whole animal milk, like goat's milk. Just bear in mind that this milk will have lactose in it, so if your child is truly lactose intolerant, replacing cow's milk with some other animal's milk doesn't help at all.

You could offer Lactaid milk.

You could offer foods made from whole cow's milk, like yogurt and cheese, as the lactose in these products is somewhat broken down by the processes that create them.

Or- and this would be my personal preference if this were my baby- you could simply give your child whole cow's milk and see how things go. If he currently tolerates the lactose in human milk okay, then there's no reason to think he can't tolerate the lactose in cow's milk. It's the same sugar. Lactose intolerance is unlikely to develop at such a young age, because the production of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) typically remains quite high through the toddler years and does not start to wane until the child is older. This is why babies are almost never lactose intolerant but older folks often are. When it comes to the point of "human beings aren't meant to have cow's milk", well, human beings aren't meant to have any animal milk other than human milk. So it's not like goat's milk is a more natural fit for a baby than cow's milk.