Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new here but I am severely struggling with BF...

Default Re: I'm new here but I am severely struggling with BF...

Ok so I have a question. I have read/heard that it's impossible to over feed with the breast. However I guess I am not understanding because.... couldn't he continue to eat for forever on the breast? Do babies not stop eating when they are full (so for example, if I nurse on my right breast and then give him a bottle wouldn't he stop when he's full when I am giving him the bottle?).

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate you both more than you know. It's tough so having 2 moms helping me.. means the world.

Also, I posted another thread about this but maybe you ladies can help me? I was reading about clamp down reflex. When I give him the bottle, or when I am using the shield and trying to get him to latch he will make a grunting noise, and chomp down. He usually only does that when he's latching, and then the rest if hamburger bites (even though it still really hurts). Occasionally he will bite during the feeding, but usually its at the very beginning. Does this sound like clamp down reflex or is that during the entire feed? I'm just nervous about getting his TT fixed tomorrow if my problem isn't the tongue but instead that?

Also - so tongue tie clip is tomorrow and then I have an LC apt Tuesday. I am REALLY HOPING that a miracle happens and he can latch tomorrow so I don't have to supplement at all. But if that doesn't work and I have to continue pumping and feeding that way.. I will ask on Tuesday how much I should be supplementing with.
    Last edited by @llli*bhacket4; June 12th, 2016 at 04:03 PM.

I know you would think that the baby would stop when they are full. And actually if they are nursing at the breast they often will although actually not always. However if they're nursing at the breast this really doesn't matter because they're doing the natural form of feeding that make sense? They basically can nurse all day and the only problem is mom has to go to the bathroom or something really.
    However with bottles the milk is delivered a completely different way. Actually a baby has a very hard time controlling the flow and the younger the baby the harder time they have. A two week old baby pretty much will drink whatever is in a bottle in most cases. Even if they don't need any were near what is in there. Even if they don't need any supplement they will do this. In part this is because they need to suck a lot and they will just keep sucking at the bottle if that is what they are given and the milk will still keep coming fairly rapidly. That doesn't happen with the breast the baby can adjust flow by how they suckle.
    Anyway the point is it is actually very very easy to over supplement and it actually takes quite a bit of mindfulness to not to so it's something you have to learn there are some great tips if you l look up paced bottle feeding ome information on that.

Camping and will soon lose signal. I do not know anything about clampdown bite reflex. I can see you continue to feel very uncertain about getting frenotomy I suggest call your LC and get more input.