Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old only nursing 2x day, worried about dehydration!

Exclamation 8 month old only nursing 2x day, worried about dehydration!

I apologize but I'm posting this in two categories because I need help!

My son bit me on Wednesday and refused to nurse after that. Wednesday night I was able to nurse him a few times but he didn’t drink much. In fact when he wook up his diaper was dry which is unusual because it is usually soaking wet. Thursday morning I was able to nurse him before is morning nap. I thought hooray!! This strike must be over! But then he wouldn’t nurse all day. I tried to feed him from a bottle and sippy cup all day and was only able to get 2 oz down him. He finally nursed again before bed (with much insistence on Mom’s part). Thursday night (much like Wed night). I had to wake him a few times to nurse him but he wasn’t much interested and didn’t drink much. It is unlike him not to wake up. The only time he wook up to cry was at 6AM. He usually wakes up to the point of waking us up several times a night. And he slept in till 8AM!! My husband just got him up before work. He is always up by 630, 700 at the latest. So to recap, my almost 9 month son is really only nursing well twice a day—before bed and early in the morning. This morning his diaper was pretty wet so that is an improvement from the night before. My son has gone from a non-stop nursling up until 6 months, to a good nurser until 7 months (every 3 hours), to a mostly night time nurser from 7-8 months (except he nursed before his two naps), to a non-nurser only allowing Mom to nurse him twice a day (before bed and early morning). It seems like he is weaning??? That would be OK if I could get him to take formula but he refuses. So what is Mom to do?

Default Re: 8 month old only nursing 2x day, worried about dehydration!

I'm sorry you are struggling with this and feeling so helpless.

Research and evidence shows us that babies won't self-wean prior to about age 2 and certainly not prior to age 1.

It sounds like things are actually improving though -- you mentioned that this morning his diaper was wet, which is good.

Does baby eat solid foods? Does he use a sippy cup at all? If he's eating solids you may want to cut back on the amount of solid foods he's eating and if he's using a sippy cup, put some EBM in it for him.

If he's on a nursing strike, even a quasi-nursing strike, try to nurse him when he's asleep or sleepy. Show him when he's awake that the breast is a great place to be! Let him rest his head on your bare chest. Some babies will nurse if they're in a nice warm bath with mom. You might also try taking him into a dark, quiet room to nurse. Or you may find that he'll nurse if it's in his favorite position (many babies will refuse to nurse unless they're in a specific position).

That said, babies can often get everything they need in a 5-minutes or less nursing session. So it's possible that your baby is getting everything he needs in those 2 nursing sessions. Keep a close eye on his wet diapers and watch him for signs of dehydration.

It's also possible that all of this will pass just as quickly as it came! Hang in there -- keep up the good work and just keep offering to nurse him. Keep us posted, okay?

Question Re: 8 month old only nursing 2x day, worried about dehydration!

I have a question on self weaning and am not sure where to post it - so I'll just do it here My son is 10 months old and it seems like he is kind of self weaning. He doesn't seem to be nursing at home or during the night like he has been. Yes, he eats ALOT of solid foods. He usually eats his last EBM/meal at the babysitters before 5 p.m. and I pick him up about 5:15. I usually try to nurse when we get home - about 6 or 6:30. He's only been nursing maybe 5 minutes total - sometimes only on one side. Same with the bedtime nurse. Last night he only got up 1 time to nurse and that was about 8 minutes on 1 side. He doesn't seem ill although I am wondering if he might have the starting of an ear infection. We (babysitter & I) also think he is trying to get his molars or other jaw teeth. He's got 6 now - 2 bottom, 4 top. Is this just a nursing strike, is he self weaning, is it the teeth???? I'm not ready to wean yet, but my body is so funny when it comes to making milk that if I don't do something my milk will go away. I've actually tried the pumping at home in the evenings for a week straight and never did increase my milk supply. The smallest (or largest - however you want to look at it) changes in my body affect my milk supply. My milk practically goes away the week before my period. So I'm really worried that his "strike" is going to lead to his weaning.

Default Re: 8 month old only nursing 2x day, worried about dehydration!

As Carol mentioned, a baby weaning themselves before about the age of 2 is really unlikely. Many times, it can be traced to a time of stress, increased time away from home and/or each other or just plain being busy. Often a nursing strike will appear to be weaning when, in fact, it is just a temporary strike.

One way that most mothers find works to increase daytime nursing is to encourage it by offering the breast at every opportunity. They may not be interested every time, but it increases the likelihood that they will nurse more often.

You might find that offering the breast BEFORE any type of solid food will help, too. Let the baby fill up on breastmilk before food and you can be sure that they are getting all that they need.