Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage of Milk at Work: Freeze or Refrigerate??

Default Storage of Milk at Work: Freeze or Refrigerate??

I am planning to return to work in a few weeks and have questions about how to store expressed milk at work. First, should I freeze it or simply refrigerate it? I currently have a stock pile of frozen milk from the moment my milk came in (2 months ago). My son will be in daycare and I was planning on him using my frozen milk (oldest stored milk first). So, should I freeze my expressed milk from work in a work fridge, and then take it home with me to be added to the stock pile and used by date (oldest milk first). Or should I simply refrigerate it and send it home to be used as soon as possible?

This is all so new and confusing and would appreciate all the help!! Thanks

Default Re: Storage of Milk at Work: Freeze or Refrigerate??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ssmarie View Post
    I am planning to return to work in a few weeks and have questions about how to store expressed milk at work. First, should I freeze it or simply refrigerate it? I currently have a stock pile of frozen milk from the moment my milk came in (2 months ago). My son will be in daycare and I was planning on him using my frozen milk (oldest stored milk first). So, should I freeze my expressed milk from work in a work fridge, and then take it home with me to be added to the stock pile and used by date (oldest milk first). Or should I simply refrigerate it and send it home to be used as soon as possible?

This is all so new and confusing and would appreciate all the help!! Thanks
    Hi! I think it all depends on how much a stockpile you have. If you have a large stockpile, you may wish to use that first. You probably need to figure out how much milk you will need to leave each day for baby. If I recall correctly, you need abt 1.5 oz per hour of separation. So, how much do you have stockpiled and how long would that last with this formula?

It also depends on how much you can pump during the work day, but you may wish to rotate your stockpile. For instance, you will use the oldest frozen milk for baby's first day away from you, then possibly fresh until Friday, which you can freeze, then bring in frozen for Monday. Again, this depends on how much you have and how much you need to leave.

A lot of moms, for whatever reason, may or may not be able to pump as much as they think, so talking to daycare about paced feeding, nursing as much as possible at home, and adding in pump sessions at home may be necessary. My stash went quickly, which upset me, but in hindsight it was better for baby to receive it earlier when she was younger than later when she was getting food as well. I never was able to pump enough so she was supplemented with formula, but whatever I pumped she received fresh the next day unless it was going to be several days for whatever reason, and then either daycare or I froze it to use next time.
    & working mom of one sweet baby girl

Default Re: Storage of Milk at Work: Freeze or Refrigerate??

I used to freeze milk from me and store it in a specialize plastic storage.