Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No weight gain from 4 to 7 months

Default No weight gain from 4 to 7 months

Hi, at two and a half months my daughter was 12 pounds, at four months she was 13 pounds and 13 ounces. At six months, she was 13 pounds and 11.5 ounces. Today at her 7 month, she was 13 pounds and 11 ounces... She has never been given formula. On Fridays and Saturdays, my husband feeds her my frozen milk, as I work out of state two days a week... Today the pediatrician told and showed me that she has gone from 40% to 3% in weight.. She gave me samples of formula and said she needed 6 oz of breast milk with formula daily, and to come back in 6 weeks..

I really don't want to do this, but I don't want to jeopardize my daughter's health..
    She is very good developmentally, crawling at this point. She got her first two teeth at three and a half months.. she has a lot of energy. Lately it has been difficult to get her to stay on the breast, as she gets easily distracted as well as dealing with her top two teeth coming in..
    This past weekend she slept ten hours in a row when with my husband, so there was a significant period when she didn't have any breast milk.

I am looking for any suggestions.. I am going to get an appt with another pediatrician who is also a lactation consultant tomorrow, but I am naturally worried.. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: No weight gain from 4 to 7 months

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions for you, just to get us started:
    - Has the baby always been weighed properly? (That means in the nude, or in a dry diaper, and always on the same scale)
    - How many times per day does the baby typically nurse?
    - Is the baby fed on demand or on a schedule?
    - Does the baby get a pacifier?
    - Does the baby typically sleep long stretches at night?
    - Does she sleep swaddled or with a pacifier?
    - Are you and/or the baby's dad smaller, more slender people?

Hi,
    I had difficulties replying last evening, and thank you for responding to my thread.
    The baby has always been weighed in nude but on different scales within the ped's multiple room office.
    Currently, Sat night though Friday morning, she nurses 7-10 times a day, including one feeding in the early a.m. (3 or 4 am).
    She is fed on demand, sleeps in a crib that is "side-carred" to our bed - she can roll in and out to the bed.
    She had a pacifier in the hospital once (nurses gave it to her) but since then, has not had an interest.
    She typically sleeps 4-5 hours, wakes up, feeds for 20-30 minutes, and then goes back to sleep, sometimes with a bit of fussing
    (after falling asleep at nipple).
    She sleeps on her tummy for the most part, or on her side. She moves around at night.
    I am more slender and shorter (5'3", was 120 lbs before pregnancy), husband is 6' and 200 lbs.

*When she is with my husband, she goes much longer between feedings, maybe 3-4 hours..and tends to sleep through the night. He usually has to put her in crib from bed, as she doesnt like to fall asleep if I am in the bed unless she's attached to my nipple.. after an hour, this gets painful..

I made an appt for today with a local pediatrician who is also an IBCLC, who cut my daughter's tongue tie at 6 weeks.

I am glad you are seeing another doctor. Weight gain rate does naturally slow down after about 4 months, but of course should not stop entirely. Since your baby was weighed on different scales scale error is a possibility.

But in a case of slow or no gain, the question any responsible doctor should be asking is why a perfectly well gaining baby would suddenly stop gaining normally with no dramatic changes in the method or frequency with which the child is fed. When the why is understood, the actual problem (if there is one) can be addressed appropriately, which may or may not involve supplemental feedings. Too often, instead of asking this question, they just throw formula at the problem and call it a day. I also think the follow up time it interesting. If your baby's gain is so worrying to the doctor that supplements are needed, shouldn't a follow up be a bit earlier than 6 weeks? Hopefully your appt today will be more helpful.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 2nd, 2016 at 11:06 AM.

Thank you for your reply..

The pediatrician today asked about my and my husband's birth weights.. mine was 6 lbs but I was also 5 weeks premature..
    She watched Maddie eat and concluded that there is no latch issue.

The first ped (the one who gave us formula) also had an issue with me deciding not to continue shots after Maddie's reaction to the first batch, so I also felt a need to cover my butt. Today's ped said we don't need to supplement with formula or frozen milk and asked us to come back in 4 weeks to see how she is doing, before the next scheduled with formula ped.. We will be moving two hours north in about 8 weeks, so it will be a good time to find a new, more breastfeeding friendly ped.

I went through a similar situation with her as a newborn - she had lost more than 10%, but birth weight was elevated d/t unfortunate use of fluids (hospital policy - my temp was 99.1 - so I officially had a fever) and pain medicine. Our first ped told me I needed to start formula after the fourth day, and that I was in jeopardy of damaging her brain.. so that brought #2 ped, who over medicated her on Zantac. Formula ped was #3.. I look forward to being back in my home location in 2 months for sure!