Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I give my baby everything that I pump?

Default Should I give my baby everything that I pump?

I have been back to work now for 5 weeks. My baby is 18 weeks old and weighs 12lbs 11oz. She went to the pediatrician two days ago and is growing well along her growth curve.

I am away from my baby for 8.5 hours a day. I have been providing 11 ounces of expressed milk. I have been pumping anywhere from 11 to 13 ounces each day. It is very difficult for me to pump. To get 11 to 13 ounces, I pump 4 times each work day and 1 time in the evening after the baby is asleep.

My question is, should I give my baby everything I pump from the previous day (anywhere from 11 to 13 ounces) even though it will vary, or would it be better to provide a consistent 11 ounces each day.

Any advice will be greatly appreciate. Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*iveehill; May 25th, 2016 at 12:47 PM.

Default Re: Should I give my baby everything that I pump?

Welcome to the forum!

If baby is generally happy with 11 oz, I would probably try to send 11 oz per day, but give the daycare some extra frozen milk to put in their freezer in case of emergencies. Maybe a few 1-3 oz bottles that they can break out if needed- like if you get stuck in traffic while commuting, or if the baby has a day when she is going through a growth spurt and is ravenous. I would send the extra in frozen form so that it won't be too easy for the daycare workers to give extra milk.

On average, breastfed babies take about 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom, with some babies taking less (1-1.5 oz) and some taking more 1.5-2 oz). For an 8.5 hour separation, sticking to the 1.5 oz per hour standard means you'd want to leave 12.75 oz. it's fine if you're leaving 11, as long as the baby is happy. But don't be too shocked if the baby starts wanting more than you are currently providing. I know what you are doing entails a huge amount of work, so please pat yourself on the back for those hard-wom bottles of milk!

Default Re: Should I give my baby everything that I pump?

Thanks!