Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping only 9 ounces per day

Default Re: Pumping only 9 ounces per day

It is! Sounds great!

If you are waking at 2 am and unable to get back to sleep anyway, can you pump (or nurse) then? The hormone released when milk is ejected from the breasts has a tendency to induce drowsiness. Just something to try!

I have battled insomnia for the last several years...it is awful.

Update: I am pumping 4 times a day - three at work at 1 at night. My output has increase to 15-16 ounces a day I did not start night nursing, but I did continue to take fenugreek and blessed thistle and drink as much water as I can. I'm now considering dropping my evening pump, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Note: My 5 month old decided she does not want to sleep anywhere but in my bed, so night nursing may start now! I'm okay with it. Sleep is over rated anyway

***UPDATE***

It has been a while since I posted this thread, and wanted to update it in cause anyone found it by searching later. As I stated above, when I first went back to work, I was pumping only 9 ounces. This steadily increased until I was able to get about 20 ounces per day around the 6 month mark. I was able to easily meet her milk needs. It just took me a little while to respond well to the pump. My output started to decrease again once my daughter started eating. We are now at 17 months and still breastfeeding well I have decreased to 1 pump per day and still give her 5 ounces of milk while I'm at work. (I may have to wean soon, but that's another issue).

So for all of you moms who don't respond well to the pump at first, keep trying You can do it!

Thank you so much for the update, that is so great that you were able to increase your pump output so much!