Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Carb withdrawal in baby?

Default Carb withdrawal in baby?

I have always done better on a low-carb diet. I ate carbs during my pregnancy though and after the birth. Adria is two months now and I would like to start cracking down on the carbs. Here is my dilemna: I ate low-carb for a week. Then some friends visited and I carbed out for a week. This week I went back to low-carbs and Adria has been extremely fussy. She hasn't napped well during the day so that adds to the crankiness. Is it possible she is going through a carb withdrawal like me? She is crying and it's not her normal "I'm hungry" cry. She goes straight to the "I'm very upset" cry. We took her temp - no fever. Burped constantly - no burps but lots of spit up, pretty much everything. Gave catnip/fennel drops for gas - temporary fix. My husband has come home to a ragged, tired wife and baby.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Carb withdrawal in baby?

I don't have any evidence or links to back up my opinion here -- but I would be extremely leery of going strictly low-carb while nursing. Breastmilk is made from what is in your blood, and what is in your blood is largely determined by what you put in your stomach. The calories in breastmilk come from all three forms of nutrients -- fat, protein, and carbohydrates -- so if your diet is missing carbohydrates, I doubt your breastmilk can have the same nutritional make-up that it used to.

Another possibility is that the ketosis that you are going through, triggered by inadequate carbohydrate intake, is somehow altering your breastmilk (could ketones show up in breastmilk? I have no idea) and causing her discomfort or worse.

I've read here recently that nursing moms who do the South Beach diet are advised to skip phase 1, the "induction" phase when all carbs are forbidden. Would you be willing to modify your diet to include whole-grain carbohydrates in moderation, and see if that helps your baby to feel better?

As you find your way through this issue, do be watchful for continued good growth in your baby. Let us know how you are both doing -- and you also might want to post on the Weight Loss board here for input from other moms who are working on diet and nutrition issues.

--Rebecca

Thank you for your input. I usually allow for some carbs in my diet but maybe not enough or the right kind. The only thing that I've done differently this week is go back to low-carb eating so that's all I can think of as being the problem (as much as I hate to admit it). I will definetely add some whole grain carbs and wait to see if my little chi-chi monkey goes back to her old happy self. It's worth any sacrifice on my part! Thanks for the insight.

If you are wanting to lose weight just keep nursing, ds is 9 months and I am smaller than I was before I had him!

Dear Quakerm0mma,

I went to the diet and exercise/weight loss forums and found a few moms out there with the same dilemna. I remembered something that I thought of yesterday. I was taking a bikeride (while my husband watched Adria) and it dawned on me: I usually go through a carb withdrawal when I go back to low-carb eating. That might be just what Adria is going through as well. Carb withdrawals always make me feel lousy for the first 3 or 4 days so it wouldn't be any different with her! PLUS I read an article just a few minutes ago about growth spurts and when they happen. Adria might just be going through one of those. She is exactly 10 weeks old.

I really appreciate your tips. I posted the carb withdrawal philosophy of mine on the weight loss forum so maybe it will help others. I do intend to modify my diet.

I have read some of your other comments to others and you seem to have a lot of insight. I just posted a new thread if you could take a look at it when you get the chance. I would be interested in your thoughts. It is entitled: I have lost my mind since getting pregnant.

Thank you!

I tried also tried limiting my carbs and my milk supply dropped dramatically. Then I read that you shouldn't restrict carbs when you are nursing so I started eating carbs again and my milk supply came back abundantly. I've also read that's it's dangerous to restrict carbs while breastfeeding.

(Note to quakerm0mma: my new post is on the first-time mothers forum.)