Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing toddler, no menses yet, but wishing to conceive

Question Nursing toddler, no menses yet, but wishing to conceive

(I put this post in the weaning section first but toddler nursing mums might be able to answer this even better...)
    My LO is 22 month old and nursing in the morning, midday, and evening, plus lots at night. My period has not resumed yet but we would like to conceive again. I'm tracking my fertility signs and I've been noticing fertile mucus for a few days every week or so for about two month now. It seems like my body is close to ovulate again - but not quite and I'm getting somewhat impatient.
    I've been taking Vitex for two month in an attempt to things going again.
    I am aware of the fact that night nursing could be in the way of getting fertile again. But because co-sleeping and nursing at night has been really great for us, I'm reluctant to change things at night. LO has spaced out day nursing lately and often goes 6 or 7 hours without during the morning.
    Has anybody experienced anything similar and/or any suggestions what I could try?
    Anybody else that got her period back so late?

Default Re: Nursing toddler, no menses yet, but wishing to conceive

There is such a wide range of time until a mom gets her fertility back that it's not uncommon for moms to go 2 or more years with no cycle. But I think that if a mom who is eager to conceive again is still not getting her period after close to 2 years, it's a good idea to go and see the doctor and get some tests. Don't let them put you off with "Meh, you're breastfeeding so of course you aren't fertile yet". I particularly advocate getting tested for thyroid function- IMO this is something that should be routine for everyone in the postpartum year and for women contemplating another pregnancy.

Thank you Mommal. It is good to be reminded that there is a wide normal range. I guess I just need to be a little more patient. But I'll keep the tip about the thyroid in mind. Although I would not readily take any synthetic hormones even if my levels would be slightly low. So in any case, would you have any suggestions about what lifestyle or nutritional changes could be done to improve thyroid function and/or if there are any alternative treatments? Thanks!

I completely understand the reluctance to take a medication. But in the case of thyroid replacement hormone, you are only taking what the body should be making anyway. It is one of the least artificial medications you can take, IYKWIM. If you happen to have low thyroid function- and that's a big if!- you would want to discuss it with your doctor and decide whether or not you need to be taking thyroid replacement hormone, rather than taking the sort of "Just eat lots of acai berries and do yoga, but only when the moon is full!" diet and lifestyle you get off the internet, or from magazines at the checkout aisle. If I sound militant about this, it's because thyroid disfunction is not the sort of problem that responds well to simple diet/lifestyle changes- ask me how I know! I'm especially edgy about it because poor thyroid function can cause problems for pregnancy, like miscarriages and babies born with congenital hypothyroidism. It's just not something I personally take lightly, probably because my personal experience with hypothyroidism was so bad. By the time I finally figured out that I had a problem, I was really sick. But the symptoms came on so gradually and were so easy to assign to other causes that I missed them for almost a year, and so did my doctors.

Thanks for your answer. I do not take this lightly and I know that real hypothyroidism has to be treated. Only, I've also read that taking the hormone does make the body adapt to it by starting to produce even less of the hormone itself. It is just one of those things were I think there is a gray zone between normal levels and real low levels witch sometimes gets over-treated. I will have my levels checked though. Thank you again for your advise.