Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Boy Fusses and Cries When Offered Bottle

Default Baby Boy Fusses and Cries When Offered Bottle

I started my son on expressed breast milk when he was 2 weeks old and my grandma came to live with us. She spent 6 weeks with us and in all that time, she bottle-fed him with my breast milk 3 times every night. He drank about 8 oz every night.

After she left, I took up nursing him at night as well. He is now 12 weeks old and I'm starting work on Monday. I've tried to ensure he takes at least one of his meals every day from the bottle, at least 3oz. He won't take a bottle from me, never has. My MIL tries to feed him but he takes about half an ounce, then starts to cry and fuss. She's awfully dismissive, saying that he isn't hungry but I know he is. He ends up taking the 3 ounces spread out over two feedings because he keeps crying and stopping and has to be petted for 30 minutes before he can continue.

Sometimes, I get frustrated and just nurse him. And he gulps so eagerly then. So I know he's hungry.

When I start work, he'll be with my MIL for the first two weeks and then he'll start creche afterwards. I worry that he will end up under-fed by her, and the creche attendants.

Could this be a medical problem? I googled and some mums say it might be silent reflux. He uses Dr. Brown's anti-colic bottles and Philips Avent natural flow. What do you think?

Default Re: Baby Boy Fusses and Cries When Offered Bottle

Why would your baby have reflux with a bottle and not the breast? I seriously doubt there is any medical issue. Your baby prefers to nurse from the breast and is not liking this other thing! This is entirely common and normal, and there is no evidence that introducing bottles early as you did, and as everyone recommends, makes much difference. Babies might change their minds about bottles at anytime, just as they may about anything else.

Are the special bottles you are using particularly slow flow? I wonder if they are so slow they frustrate baby? Special bottles are not needed if baby is being given a bottle using paced bottle feeding positioning and technique, and unlike a bottle or nipple, that method can be easily adjusted right in the moment as baby seems to prefer.

My best suggestion is not to worry overly about this yet. Many babies refuse bottles and then come around over time. Also it is pretty common for a baby to not eat all that well while mom is gone and then make up for it when together. But I do think bottles will come easier over time, that is what typically happens.

There is no reason to insist baby take 3 ounce bottles every meal or anything like it. Instead I suggest, educate MIL and the future caregivers on what the normal total intake over your workday can be expected to be- (between one ounce and one and a half ounces per hour of separation.) Not all babies take that much, of course, and that is fine assuming baby nurses frequently enough the rest of the 24 hour day while with you.

Also, educate them in how to bottle feed the breastfed baby. This requires no special equipment, but it does take a little practice to learn paced bottle feeding and how to feed on cue if they are used to feeding on a schedule. If paced bottle feeding and cue feeding is already being done and baby is still not eating enough while you are gone, they might try adjusting the position so the flow is a bit faster to see if that helps, and try offering the bottle before baby cues to see if a calmer, less hungry baby is willing to try things longer. If nothing is working and you are still concerned baby is not getting enough while you are gone, then alternatives to bottles can be tried. Small cups work well.

More info:
    How much expressed milk baby needs: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    Bottle feeding a breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 8th, 2016 at 09:20 AM.