Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latches great on one side but not the other

Default Latches great on one side but not the other

Hi, I'm a first time mom and my baby is 2 weeks old. We have a great latch going on the right breast. It doesnt hurt, so I feel like I could breastfeed all day. However, on the left he has a hard time. I will put him to the breast, just like I do on the right side, and he will fuss and push off me, so I take him off, and then he continues to root like crazy, so we do this over and over at least a dozen times until he finally stays on. Once he is on, it hurts a lot more than on the right side, and I can't figure out what I'm doing differently. I know he doesn't keep pushing off because of gas or needing to burp because he will do fine if I switch him to the right side. It's just really frustrating to try to latch him on a couple dozen times on my sore side.

Default Re: Latches great on one side but not the other

Congratulations on the new baby! I bet that is frustrating and uncomfortable. When my baby was a newborn, my right nipple was inverted (not so much anymore after a year of nursing!), and she had a harder time latching on that side. I had to use different positions, like the football hold as opposed to cradle, which worked on the left. Have you tried varying the nursing position on your left side?

Hang in there! You are doing a great job!!

with marians.mommy. I had no visible issues with my breasts, but my oldest totally refused to nurse on one side for several days, and when he did latch it hurt terribly, it was very frustrating. We are all a bit asymmetrical, so it is actually pretty common for one side to be an "easier latch" than the other especially in the early weeks. Also sometimes baby is having a harder time latching due to a tightness or weakness or some discomfort that is only causing an issue with latch on the one side. Basically you would approach this the way you would any other latch issue- by trying different latch techniques and/or positions, encouraging baby to nurse often overall and watching weight gain and poopy diapers to be sure baby is getting enough.

If you feel you have tried the things you can think of with no result, I would suggest try to see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) for an in person consult. If this is not possible, try to meet with a breastfeeding peer volunteer like a LLL Leader.

Also if baby is not latching and nursing enough on the left, you may need to pump or hand express on that side to be sure there are no issues going forward.

Explanation of a lactation consult: http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Hi!! I was wondering if you saw any improvements? I'm facing a similar issue but apart from that , baby would constantly unlatch throughout the whole feed