Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, Icant get my baby off the nipple guard!

Default Help, Icant get my baby off the nipple guard!

Hello
    My daughter is 12 weeks 2day and I truly cant get her off.I have read all the advice w/ in this site, and others ..I thought I would post for the cure!

Default Re: Help, Icant get my baby off the nipple guard!

most moms find it just takes some time and stubborness to get them off.
    Keep trying with each time you nurse.
    Some moms find that baby can quit coldturkey once they get a little bit older.
    are you giving bottles? That can complicate things for some babies.

Give it time and patience. My DS is almost 11 weeks old, and we've used a shield since week 1 (he was premature and couldn't stay latched). I'm slowly trying to wean him off, and some times he's very receptive to not using the shield, and other's he's not. I figure he'll probably get this whole thing down after his three month point. But don't force it or else you may end up fighting breast rejection, and that's even harder to fix. Plus, nipple shields aren't the end of the world.

I used a nipple shield with my 3 mo ds and was able to wean him from it by starting the nursing session with the shield and once he had been attached for a bit and was content I would stop him and take the shield off. At that point he would have no problem re-latching properly. It only took a week and we've been shield free for 6 weeks now.

It's a common problem and there's really no "quick fix." The key with my DS was to offer the breast first (but not to the point that he was frantic or angry) every time; for some weird reason he was more receptive to it at night, and one night he just latched right on and never looked back!

Just be patient, and it will happen eventually. I also agree with PP, a nipple shield is not the end of the world, your LO is still getting BM w/o the hassle of pumping, so you're off to a good start!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.