Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing?!

Default Supplementing?!

Last weekend I got really ill with a GI bug along with 10 mos baby. We missed a few feelings and I was too sick to pump. But I returned to nursing x2 days before returning to work. Once I got back to work I returned to my pump/ nurse before work then twice at work (8-5) and then nurse once before bed then pump again before I go to sleep. I was getting a standard 16oz now.....12oz. At this point I have exhausted my frozen stash and I am fearful I will have to start supplement formula. I just don't know if it's appropriate at this point since we are on three meals a day with solids. At daycare she gets 4x4 oz bottles and two meals ( yogurt and baby food).

She is petite but the Peds MD isn't concerned since she maintains typically a 20% on the growth chart and developmentally is ahead. She maintains normal wet diapers and BM are normal. The doctor recommends 24 oz in 24 hours. She isn't fussy at the breast or wanting more when we nursing on the weekends. Just don't know if I have to supplement if I run out of milk to make up for the 4oz.

The thing I have against formula is I wouldn't consume it myself based strictly on reading the label but at the same time I don't want to starve my baby based on principle.

I have tried to increase my supply but at work it's not really possible to add in pumping time. Not because of my employer who has been nothing but supportive but because I am a nurse and my patient don't understand I need to pump. I know what I'd tell my nursing moms from a nurse stand point but I just can't follow my own professional recommendations without a fight or consideration that maybe she just doesn't need it at this point at 10 months. Ughhhhh!

Default Re: Supplementing?!

I am in no way an expert here! But if the daycare can give the baby 4 X3oz bottles, that is still within the normal range for the amount of hours you are away and baby wouldn't be starving in any way. I understand your work schedule, but do you think it is possible to squeeze in one more session, even if it is a short one? I honestly don't think I could go that long only pumping twice for the simple fact that I would be very uncomfortable. I am in a helping profession as well, and although my schedule is not as hectic as a nurse, I know what it's like putting others before yourself. But if you can carve out a few extra minutes it would be beneficial in terms of maintaining supply to go ahead and take care of your own needs

Is baby nursing at night at all? It seems like increasing overall frequency of nursing/pumping would be helpful here.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong in any way
    First time working mom to Zachary, 11/20/2015

, , &

:How old is your baby? It sounds like you might have hit the 9-10month pump slump. If you are that far into your journey? I wouldn't supplement personally. Your baby is eating real food and even if a baby "waits" for their mother (Which some young babies do) if they are granted unlimited access to the breast when together they can more than make up for it.
    If you want ideas on how to get more pump sessions while away? How about pumping in the car on the way home? I have a good friend from here who's a lawyer and when she hit that slump she added a pumping session in the car. It cost her nothing in terms of taking time away from other projects since she had to be in the car anyway and it was extra stimulation.

Way too lazy for formula

OH! I see that's she's 10 months!! I missed that. Yeah I definitely wouldn't supplement this late in the game if I was you.

Way too lazy for formula

It seems like increasing overall frequency of nursing/pumping would be helpful here.
    If increasing frequency during the work day is not possible, you could always try adding in post-nursing pump sessions when you are home with the baby.

My baby is 7 months old and I have also run out of my freezer stash. I'm pumping the same number of times at work and getting about the same volume, but I can't keep up with how much he likes to take at daycare. He is in the 80th percentile for height and weight, and our pediatrician said he is getting the perfect amount given his growth. My question is: if I need to send formula, should it be the same volume as the breast milk bottles (5 oz) I have been sending? Or do I need to send the larger volume that formula-fed babies take (6-8 oz)?

My understanding is that formula makers make formula to match breastmilk in calories. In other words, 5 ounces is 5 ounces. So I do not see why you would need to send more because it is formula. Unfortunately those babies who are given 6 to 8 ounces are probably being overfed. Also, many formula fed babies are on feeding schedules and since this limits the frequency with which a child is fed, it increases the amount of each feeding. For better health, it would probably be better if all babies were fed more like breastfed babies- small feedings, more frequently.

The rule of thumb that seems to work well for most babies at daycare is that baby needs about 1 to 1.5 ounces of milk per hour of separation. So, for 8 hours of separation, 8-12 ounces would be about right. Of course some babies may prefer a little more, but if it is a significant amount it might make sense to look at how baby is being fed at daycare. Size and growth rate does not determine how much a child needs all that much. I am not aware of some mathematical equation that would tell your pediatrician that your baby weighs X and thus needs Y. Since overfeeding with bottles is common it is important to be sure that is not going on when a mom is finding she cannot "keep up." This is important not only because it means mom cannot pump enough but also because overfeeding might cause baby to not nurse with normal vigor or frequency when baby is with mom, and this can lead to poor milk production or bottle preference and possibly, early cessation of breastfeeding.

Some things that might increase how much a baby takes at daycare are baby being inadvertently overfed (common) or baby starting to nurse less when they are home either because they are being overfed at daycare or because they are on a sleep schedule or otherwise discouraged from nursing frequently when at home.