Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Acid reflux & poor appetite on 9 week older

Default Acid reflux & poor appetite on 9 week older

My baby has been pulling away from breast a couple of times per day during breastfeeding. First doctor's dismissed it as it was just gas, but recently I figured this can't just be gas. He seems in pain. How can I tell if this is really reflux? Once he is done feeding he seems fine. He sometimes coughs and seems to swallow something at times. He didn't want to eat earlier and went 5 hours without eating during the day and 7 hours at night. That's the longest ever.

Default Re: Acid reflux & poor appetite on 9 week older

Dr. Sears (askdrsears.com) has a good article on GERD. Unfortunately it is very difficult to be "sure" a baby has reflux without very invasive tests.
    No chance baby is just ill, with a cold or something? That can make someone lose their appetite temporarily.
    Also be sure to rule out a fast letdown causing baby to not want to nurse.

After about 6 weeks of age, some babies can go down to nursing about 6 times in 24 hours and do fine, according to Nancy Morhbacher. On her blog, she explains that one of the things that effect feeding frequency is mothers breast storage capacity.

Most babies will nurse more than that, more like a minimum of 8-12 times a day. But as long as the less nursing is baby's choice and baby is getting enough to eat, less frequent nursing can be ok.

Default Re: Acid reflux & poor appetite on 9 week older

My first thought was to wonder whether you might have an oversupply issue. Babies who struggle with a fast milk flow often pull off the breast while feeding, and can be very noisy while nursing. They may cough, splutter, click, gag,wheeze, etc., while nursing.

If you want to post the baby's weight gain history, that might give us a clue to what is going on...