Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milk supply almost non-existent. NEED HELP!!!!!

Default Re: Milk supply almost non-existent. NEED HELP!!!!!

Getting a new pump out of your insurance may be tricky, or even impossible. I would talk to your doctor and your child's pediatrician. They may have some insight, or may be able to provide you with a prescription for a pump. I would also contact your local LLL and local moms' groups and see if anyone has a lightly used, more powerful pump that they are prepared to pass on. (Please note: many pumps are classified as "single user medical devices" because they cannot be sterilized. If you were to take a used pump, you would want to be quite careful about the source, unless you came across a "closed system" pump that can be sterilized.) in addition, I would contact your local lactation consultants and medical supply places- see how much it would cost to rent a hospital grade pump. When I rented one, it was $3 per day. But that was 10 years ago. If you are eligible for WIC, that is another avenue to explore. Sometimes they help moms out with breast pumps.

Good luck with pumping tonight! I hope it helps, and doesn't leave your too exhausted.

Great ideas! I tried to find some smaller flanges in the store but had no luck. So I will be ordering some soon. I did great two nights ago- got up at 2:45am and pumped half an ounce. My breasts seemed to feel much fuller throughout the day in between pumping sessions. Last night I totally slept through my alarm and never woke up but when I did pump in the morning my breasts felt very full and I got a good ounce out of them. I'll be waking up again tonight at some point to pump again! I think that may be the key. Thank you all for your help!

I really hope that the addition of a nightly pump session will get you back to where you want to be! Good for you for being willing to try it. Sleep is not something all moms are willing to give up, even for the best reasons!

I admire your dedication! I relactated after losing milk supply with my oldest son. I remember feeling ashamed about how little I would pump, at first drops, later 1/4 ounce. I should not have thought of myself so poorly and neither should you. I eventually did regain milk supply and continued nursing until 14 months. You're doing great right now, your production is responding to the changes you're making in removing milk more frequently! Hang in there momma <3